Spectre and Meltdown patch performance.

Mazzspeed

2[H]4U
Has anyone really noticed any noticeable loss of performance as a result of the Spectre and Meltdown patches?

I've been pretty slack, running kernel 4.13 without the patches since the vulnerability hit. Today I decided to patch my OS to 4.15.18 and tested that the patches had been applied, which they had. I decided to do a bit of in game testing as well as some testing using y-cruncher and for all intents and purposes my dual Westmere-EP processors are actually performing better than they were before.

Has anyone else noticed this? Windows or Linux, I don't hold any bias.

15% on some of my software. but i do alot of brute force compression which eat up alot of CPU and I/o very interchangeabel so a lot of kernel access with high cpu usage.

If you are a typical user ist not a big thing. but then agin if you are a typical user the errors does not affect you either so really so ive disabled the patches again.

I'm not really worrying about it because it's going to get fixed in hardware, so there's no way to prevent it from happening.

I'm not really worrying about it because it's going to get fixed in hardware, so there's no way to prevent it from happening.

Same here, I couldn't care less really. If it wasn't for the fact that the patch is part of the kernel I would have avoided it completely.

Is the Windows based fix integrated into 1803 or is it still a separate download?

Does Windows 7 get patched? Or is there a patch available for Windows 7?
Not sure, but there is always the bios based fixes for Win 7 users. Windows based patches are just to help for systems not getting bios updates.

Benchmarks and games don't seem to be affected, but CoreTemp does show most of my cores are 2-3 degrees warmer when my machine is idle.

Back