SP2, 3rd computer, router, no internet?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
I had to reinstall XP SP2 on a computer for a co-worker because his system was hosed by a video card driver update not done correctly. I set all the bios settings, installed XP SP2 and then installed LAN drivers and it won't make the Internet connection. It's connected as a third computer right now on my D-Link DI-704P router and I tried the other connections on the router and different ethernet cables as well with no luck. I tried uninstalling the network cable and rebooting the computer so it can redetect it with no luck. I've even tried unplugging the cable from my second computer and using it with no luck as well as the cable from my first computer. I've also tried updating the LAN driver and changing the firewall settings to on and off (with and without a router exception) with no luck. I had no trouble last month connecting to the office network for the initial XP install and windows update. I've also tried adding a 3rd computer to my home network temporarily last year without any problems (SP1a though). Resetting the router and/or cable modem didn't work either. Here are the system specs:

WinXP SP2
AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice core CPU (retail with fan/HS)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum MB (1.5 Bios)
1GB of Corsair TWINX1024-PC3200C2 RAM (SPD settings)
Antec 500W (SP-500, SP 2.0 version) PSU (dual +12V rails)
eVGA 6800GT 256MB video card (will be 77.72 drivers)
Audigy2 OEM sound card (will be latest Audigy2 drivers)
NEC 3540A DVDRW (IDE1)
WD SATA 200GB HD (SATA1)
Sony floppy drive
Viewsonic VX715 LCD monitor
Logitech LX500? Keyboard (wireless)
Logitech LX500 mouse (wireless)

This motherboard has two LAN connections (Marvell on the bottom and nVidia on the top). The Marvell has been working fine all this time and to avoid any drivers conflicts with nVidia system files as well as nVidia video drivers, I wanted to continue to use the Marvell but it seems this slot may be fried and I'll have to use the other LAN port. Before I do this, is there a setting I missed with SP2 or am I missing something completely obvious? I would like to make sure this Marvell port is definitely fried before I try the nVidia one. Thank you for any help. :confused:

Did you check to see if the Windows Firewall was turned off? I had the same problem & disabling the firewall fixed the problem.

Yes, I did do this. To make a long story short, I turned the computer on after work and it connected. Go figure. :)

Back