SN850X back down @da Zonner again !

Waiting on the 4TB as well for $250 or less. The Samsung 980Pro 2TB dropped to $140 at a few locations over the weekend so there's still room for prices to drop.

Guys, I own this $150 2TB WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X NVMe because every on here was saying how it's the best thing since slice bread but I cannot tell the difference in gaming or loading times between that drive and the $80 Microcenter 2TB Inland Special NVMe!

Only get this NVMe if you're an influencer who films and edits 4K or 8k files and needs to work with 50GB files. Otherwise you are just wasting your money when you could get twice the storage for the same price by going with Inland.

Guys, I own this $150 2TB WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X NVMe because every on here was saying how it's the best thing since slice bread but I cannot tell the difference in gaming or loading times between that drive and the $80 Microcenter 2TB Inland Special NVMe!

Only get this NVMe if you're an influencer who films and edits 4K or 8k files and needs to work with 50GB files. Otherwise you are just wasting your money when you could get twice the storage for the same price by going with Inland.
Well, since you hate it so much and I love 'em so much, I would be happy to take it off your hands, for the right price, of course :D

And fyi, since I build rigs for a living, I won't take a chance on any off-brand parts destroying my client's trust in me, but to each his own as they say....

I have a 2TB WD SN850X for my system drive and I'd like a decent 4TB for my storage so that I can just get rid of my 4 TB WD Red spinning disk. I guess I really need to look for something under $200 for 4TB. Probably limited to Gen3 at the moment. I'd like to have something Gen4 just because, but I'm guessing as long as it works and is reliable is all that really matters. PCpartpicker shows three 4 TB drives at $199.99 at the moment.

Last edited:

Read operations, such as in loading games, are easily satisfied with a cheap SSD.

And fyi, since I build rigs for a living, I won't take a chance on any off-brand parts destroying my client's trust in me, but to each his own as they say....

Inland Performance is a sub-brand of Micro Electronics who also owns Micro Center, not exactly off brand, but they are an in-house brand. They're hard to beat especially if you're looking for 2230 drive for a Steam Deck.

Inland Performance is a sub-brand of Micro Electronics who also owns Micro Center, not exactly off brand, but they are an in-house brand. They're hard to beat especially if you're looking for 2230 drive for a Steam Deck.
Not to mention it's not unheard of for "name brands" to have pretty big issues. The recent Samsung one comes to mind. It's all about staying informed about the hardware under the label.

Yeah that’s a fair assessment based on the current state of gaming, you can see the max transfer rates pretty easily via Task Manager and they are nowhere close to the max theoretical limits of these 4.0 drives.

I think the main reason to buy the higher end ones is if/when DirectStorage matters for gaming, if they have a high transfer or I/O workflow, and also warranty/lifespan considerations.

Not to mention it's not unheard of for "name brands" to have pretty big issues. The recent Samsung one comes to mind. It's all about staying informed about the hardware under the label.
That goes both ways, big name brands are going to have a wider user-base so discovery of these kinds of issues are more commonplace, but Samsung also has more resources to correct the issue.

And also as mentioned, these bigger brands typically have better track records and the infrastructure to deal with warranty issues.

I have a 2TB WD SN850X for my system drive and I'd like a decent 4TB for my storage so that I can just get rid of my 4 TB WD Red spinning disk. I guess I really need to look for something under $200 for 4TB. Probably limited to Gen3 at the moment. I'd like to have something Gen4 just because, but I'm guessing as long as it works and is reliable is all that really matters. PCpartpicker shows three 4 TB drives at $199.99 at the moment.
If you aren't in a hurry, there will be plenty more 4x4, tlc, m.2 4tb $200 deals coming. NAND and memory is cheap af right now and supply wont be coming down for a very long time from what I've seen. Everything I've been reading is saying that prices will continue to drop. The latest is talking about companies delaying and or slowing R&D and controllers because they can't justify the cost right now. That says alot about the current situation. Delaying the release of controllers is unheard of. That's like nvidia or AMD deciding next gen cards aren't going to sell so they're going to wait a quarter to release.

I was forced to buy a 1tb sn850x a few days ago out of necessity. It was a solid price ($85) but I'll bet that in a few months they will be $20 cheaper. If not for needing it now, I'd be waiting for another of the flash sales and buy a handful of cheap, high quality, tlc m.2s again. I'm waiting for the 2tb tlc drives from Samsung, WD and the big dogs to hit around a bill.

It's a glorious time to be a storage consumer.

Like I said before "to each his own"

However, I know several people who made the mistake of buying "house brand" drives and regretted it badly.... 2 of them were Inland's, and after the 3rd & 4th RMA's, Inland just refunded double their money back & included a "sorry, we hope this helps" letters !

not everyone has access to a microcenter, but the inlands are just rebranded generic drives and the NAND flash changes over the life of the product based on what bulk prices the manufacture is able to get. they're the same drives as what silicon power, sabrent rocket Q, adata and so on sell. there's nothing inherently wrong with them and they're good drives if you just need something basic and for the price they're easy to replace, i just wouldn't trust them with important data.

Back