SMP beta vs Uniprocessor Client (classic)

Got around to upgrading to the latest "classic" console client, 6.20, from 5.03. I noticed the SMP beta clients and was wondering how much faster/more efficient the SMP clients were compared to the latest 6.20 uni clients? I am running several dual core systems and if they can push more work with a better client, I'm all for it. I have not done an exhaustive search of the site but a brief seach has not turned up the info I'm looking for, so sorry if this info is right in front of me but I'm too blind/lazy to see/find it...

Thanx

ByteDown[H]ard;1033007580 said:
Got around to upgrading to the latest "classic" console client, 6.20, from 5.03. I noticed the SMP beta clients and was wondering how much faster/more efficient the SMP clients were compared to the latest 6.20 uni clients? I am running several dual core systems and if they can push more work with a better client, I'm all for it. I have not done an exhaustive search of the site but a brief seach has not turned up the info I'm looking for, so sorry if this info is right in front of me but I'm too blind/lazy to see/find it...

Thanx

If you have dedicated folding boxen I’d suggest install Linux and grab the smp Linux client. With the new A-2 core you will be shocked at the production difference.

On a windows machine you can use a virtual machine and run Linux inside the VM and still do much better then you are now.

Luck;)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1339662

These are the new guides for install.

Google VMware server, I believe the new one is 1.0.7. It's free and not time limited and you can install a machine within a machine, or several. You will need to register to get the serial numbers to make it go.

You will get tons of advice on which Linux to use, I like Suse 10.4 or 11.0 and unbuntu isn't half bad, you will need the 64 bit version of all software even with a 32 bit processor.

If you go back through the past 10 pages or so of this section of the forum you will see many and various ways to do the installs.

Even if you are totally unfamiliar with Linux right next to the client download are the instructions in a cut and paste format, you really don't need to type anything.

Have fun;)

I see the guide, my question is HOW do I get linux into the VM Ware server, I am clueless about that

I got VMWare Server Installed and it seems to be working. I had to install IIS into Windows before it would work. I'm trying to set up a Suse Linux VM as we speak, lets see if I can screw it up.

If you want to install the Linux client as a service inside the VM, then have a look at useing Finstall to install the client.
It an easy way to get it to run as soon as the VM starts.
Just remember to add the smp flag when you start the installer, ./finstall smp

Luck .............. :D

Just curious - to run a VM/Linux SMP client AND be able to use the computer for other stuff, do you need a quad, or will a dual core work? I'm getting about 800 ppd (about 2.5 days for a 1920 pernt 2665), and from what I've rad, I would love to move to a2 units... Should I make the switch or leave things alone?

Just curious - to run a VM/Linux SMP client AND be able to use the computer for other stuff, do you need a quad, or will a dual core work? I'm getting about 800 ppd (about 2.5 days for a 1920 pernt 2665), and from what I've rad, I would love to move to a2 units... Should I make the switch or leave things alone?

Once you do one it's pretty easy. you will need an iso of the Linux you want to install. When you start VM accept local host for your connection. you will see the options and you want to create a new machine. You will see a screed with os choices, pick suse 64. Make it custom, you will need about 8 gig for the virtual drive which VM creates automaticly. Again, where is asks for host chose local host and network set to NAT works fine. You can also leave memory settings alone as a rule. VM will want to create a virtual disk so go ahead and allow it.

Once created you will see you can edit the machine settings, keep in mind the "machine" is software. Click edit settings, advanced and choose 2 processors. Go back to the regular edit screen and click the cd rom drive and a screen with show up with properties.

There is a check box for browsing to your system iso file of linux so, browse to your iso file. No need to burn a cd or dvd.

click ok and you are back to your virtual machine, click start at the top of the program which should be a green play icon or click start on the window right below that. If you did everything right in a few moments you should see linux starting up, chose install and go from there.

With Suse during install at some point it askes for install options. click the lower left of the linux system then add programs. Click add 32 bit libraries then next to continue.

VM and suse will do the rest including all the partitioning etc, all you need is to choose a password and user name.

Wow, it's 1:30 here and I'm doing this all from memory lol.

Don't worry if you screw it up, worse case you can reinstall it and learn some tricks along the way.

Once you have a running machine the rest is cake. Open Konquer web browser and type folding at hom in the search and the first entry you will see is stanfords. click downloads and you are where you want to be. Next click the lower left icon in linux and click on "terminal" which is sort of like an old dos prompt, back to your browser (keep both open for now, terminal and browser) you will see the client with two book icons, click the lower one. from there cut and paste each command from the browser to the terminal window. Ignore the 32bit library dl, you already have that.

First command should be md foldiing which creates the folder for folding. then c and p cd folding and that will move you to the folding dir.

you have two choices to aquire the client "curl" and wget. you want wget, just copy the whole line and paste it into terminal.

Next go up one line in the browser and copy the tar giz line right under the curl command and again, paste it into the terminal

to make sure everything is there, in the terminal type ls to list the files. you should see fah6 in the list of files. copy or type ./fah6 -configonly and hit enter

Fill in the blanks BillR, team 33 etc.

after that either type or cut and paste ./fah6 -smp hit enter and you should be folding.

My meds are kicking in so sorry for the bad spelling. We can tweak it tommorow.

Luck man;)

Oh, this will work fine for a dual core, if you have a quad you can actually set up a second VM within the same program.

Fill in the blanks BillR, team 33 etc.
But make sure I get this step correct, right? :D

Anyways, SWMBO is going away to a retreat for the weekend, so this sounds like a good way to spend Saturday with the stereo cranked up in the background. I'll just start a new thread then if I have any problems - and Thanks!

SMP will net you a higher PPD than running several console clients

But make sure I get this step correct, right? :D

Anyways, SWMBO is going away to a retreat for the weekend, so this sounds like a good way to spend Saturday with the stereo cranked up in the background. I'll just start a new thread then if I have any problems - and Thanks!

Lol. Ok, you passed the test, if you caught that part the rest is cake;)

Luck

I got VM Server setup and working. I just decided to try it today and it asks me for a disc so it can install. I just finished downloading Suse 64 bit DVD version, so as soon as it finishes burning, I'll try to install it. Hopefully everything will go well, and I can squeeze a few more PPD out of my system, so I can catch Oraldlight. He keeps matching my upgrades damn him! :-P

If you are running a [email protected] with a GPU client on vista and you set up a VM or two will the folding client release cycles back to the host OS if the other vista apps require more cpu power? In addition to 2 SMPs and the GPU client my main rig has 4 or 5 other programs running when I work. With 4 gig of ram I haven't had any probs and the SMPs always give up the cpu cycles when I need them. If it will slow things down too much I'll just stick with the low ppd windoz clients.

I actually got it to work! Holy crap, I just wish I could monitor it with FAHmon.

Great, I just noticed this:

[23:53:20] Folding@home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED
[23:53:20] .
[23:53:20]
[23:53:20] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[23:53:25] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
[23:53:25] Error opening or reading from a file.

How do I fix it?

Great, I just noticed this:

[23:53:20] Folding@home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED
[23:53:20] .
[23:53:20]
[23:53:20] Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR
[23:53:25] CoreStatus = 75 (117)
[23:53:25] Error opening or reading from a file.

How do I fix it?

Looks like permissions. Are you running the client under the same user as you installed it as?

Back