Silence Supermicro SC847 case?

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Supermicro SC847E26 jbod case, and it sounds very much. Are there any simple mods to silence it a bit? I understand the PSUs are noisiest, can I do something for them? Will it help to swap all fans?

The enclosure you have is an enterprise-level unit meant for rack installation, and not in any way made to be quiet. The fans are screamers, chosen to move as many cubic feet of air through the case as they can. That said, you have a few options. The hotswap fans in that unit are 80mm 7k fans. If you don't need to move as much air for whatever hardware you have installed, you can replace them (you'll probably have to do some splicing in the hot swap fan modules) with slower 80mm fans. That will in itself cut down that noise. Another option is to use a fan controller and replace the fixed speed fans with PWM models which you can set speed based on temp. Still another option is to design a mounting bracket to replace the hot swap fans entirely. The next problem is with the fans in the power supply. Depending on which manufacturer you have for the 1400w in that enclosure, you could have 40, 60 or 80mm fans. Again, you may be able to replace them with slower, quieter fans. All of these mods will of course void the warranties associated with whatever parts are involved, and the PS mods could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Dangerous from not only a bodily-injury-I-touched-the-wrong-thing-and-electricuted-myself standpoint, also the I-put-in-too-small-a-cfm-fan-and-it-burned-out point.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Ok, so it seems I should leave the PSUs be and only mess with the fans, because I am an noob. But, I think it is the PSUs that sounds the most, so maybe it does not help to only silence the fans, what do you think? If I only silence the fans, that will not matter overall for the noise level?

Back