Shrout Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness

Ryan Shrout Departs Intel Ahead of Arc Battlemage Ramp​

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryan-shrout-departs-intel-in-wake-of-broader-gpu-division-layoffs

"Prior to working in Intel's client graphics division, Shrout served as chief performance strategist, a job he took up in 2018. In that role, he pitched "real-world" usage scenarios, rather than benchmarks, as Intel's strengths against a resurgent AMD. His title before leaving the company was senior director of client segment strategy, CCG in Intel's graphics division."

Likely most of us also know he used to run pcper.com, which is still gamely posting, but not nearly as much as they used to.

Long-term, Arc is dead. It isn't even close to being profitable for Intel. And they're tightening all belts right now.

They'll release what's in the pipeline to save face. But it'll quietly disappear into 2025. And everyone associated with supporting it internally will be gone long before.

Long-term, Arc is dead. It isn't even close to being profitable for Intel. And they're tightening all belts right now.

They'll release what's in the pipeline to save face. But it'll quietly disappear into 2025. And everyone associated with supporting it internally will be gone long before.
If it is Intel is dead, x86’s days are numbered Intel knows it. They either get GPU’s or they get gone. They can’t afford to give this up.

If it is Intel is dead, x86’s days are numbered Intel knows it. They either get GPU’s or they get gone. They can’t afford to give this up.
Arc had a lot of teething pains but it seems to be growing into something decent at the low to mid range.

It absolutely has become a viable consumer line^

But the effort is gushing gash. That's the determining factor.

I think Arc may have already surpassed Itanium in costliness for Intel.

Just can't sell millions of cards at a loss and call it a justifiable business to your shareholders.
Arc is by almost every measure a failure, it may have opened the door to better things but that work is mostly done.
Somebody had to take the fall.
AMD looses one head as Intel does too? Coincidence?
Is Scott going for the Trifecta? The Hatrick? The Tripple Tripple?
Could he be going team Blue? Or did Apple poach both? I know they want to make a move on gaming but even for them that sounds too extreme.

I'm shocked Intel had the brains to let him go. Probably more because of their failing GPU business in general than for seeing how bad he is, though.

AMD looses one head as Intel does too?
More of a gain in both cases.

If it's dead, its still animated corpse probably still has decades to shamble forward

When do you think the great cutoff will occur?

I've been hearing "x86 days are numbered" for almost as long as "this is the year of Linux". Keep dreaming.
Every year is the new fewest x86 desktops and x86 laptops sold.
And every year it’s a new datacenter that’s decided to go ARM not x86.
Intel and AMD each sell fewer and fewer x86 parts while arm proportionately increases.

Not to mention that GPU sales or accelerator sales to datacenter’s now outpaces x86 hardware sales by nearly double.

ARM and GPU based products are steadily replacing the x86 Intel and AMD products.

If it's dead, its still animated corpse probably still has decades to shamble forward

When do you think the great cutoff will occur?
Still decades out but Intel is preparing for it which is why they are spinning off the foundries to their own company.

Worth keeping in mind that AXG was recently split into two groups, client and data center. No longer in the same BUs to my understanding.

Also a bit of backstory that is on topic for this thread, Raja built his own marketing group inside of the AXG BU. Recently, everyone in "AXG Marketing" was fired, and allowed to pursue other jobs inside the Intel umbrella. A good percentage of that AXG marketing group left Intel. Shrout, in the last month or so, took a job in the SMG at Intel.

Worth keeping in mind that AXG was recently split into two groups, client and data center. No longer in the same BUs to my understanding.

Also a bit of backstory that is on topic for this thread, Raja built his own marketing group inside of the AXG BU. Recently, everyone in "AXG Marketing" was fired, and allowed to pursue other jobs inside the Intel umbrella. A good percentage of that AXG marketing group left Intel. Shrout, in the last month or so, took a job in the SMG at Intel.
I had forgot about the AXG split, makes sense, never liked the name should have gone with ACSG. Then it would have been something that at least made sense.

Every year is the new fewest x86 desktops and x86 laptops sold.
And every year it’s a new datacenter that’s decided to go ARM not x86.
Intel and AMD each sell fewer and fewer x86 parts while arm proportionately increases.

Not to mention that GPU sales or accelerator sales to datacenter’s now outpaces x86 hardware sales by nearly double.

ARM and GPU based products are steadily replacing the x86 Intel and AMD products.

Been repeated many times, yet X86 is still here and will continue to be. Software is what drives the hardware and until emulating x86 is almost as fast as a X86 cpu then X86 cpu's will continue to sell just fine. You might be more accurate on the server front but even that change will be slow.

Been repeated many times, yet X86 is still here and will continue to be. Software is what drives the hardware and until emulating x86 is almost as fast as a X86 cpu then X86 cpu's will continue to sell just fine. You might be more accurate on the server front but even that change will be slow.
I agree it does, but not just servers, business too, more and more of it is a web app or native iOS/Android/Chrome app. Less and less is development of software focusing on Windows as a platform because more and more frequently it is not what it is in the homes of the people.

The whole point of emulating/translating x86 at this point is to act as a transition period to move to a new ISA, most likely ARM since it is mature enough at this point to be profitable and/or cost efficient.
There is no need to emulate/translate an ISA if one is simply going to stay on that same ISA.

x86 in general has really stepped up its game thanks to AMD giving competition for so long to Intel, especially during Intel's 10nm woes.
Competition drives innovation, but in the interim ARM has also made large strides.

If ARM fails it will be because of SoftBank's poor investment strategies and their new forced ARM licensing, not because of ARM itself.

The whole point of emulating/translating x86 at this point is to act as a transition period to move to a new ISA, most likely ARM since it is mature enough at this point to be profitable and/or cost efficient.
There is no need to emulate/translate an ISA if one is simply going to stay on that same ISA.

x86 in general has really stepped up its game thanks to AMD giving competition for so long to Intel, especially during Intel's 10nm woes.
Competition drives innovation, but in the interim ARM has also made large strides.

If ARM fails it will be because of SoftBank's poor investment strategies and their new forced ARM licensing, not because of ARM itself.
And with ARM public SoftBank’s shares simply get bought up by Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Samsung, and all the others who already own significant holdings in ARM.

And I still think AMD’s rise has less to to with their work and more to do with TSMC’s. But Intel floundering for 5 years on their nodes and processes certainly didn’t hurt AMD’s efforts any.

And with ARM public SoftBank’s shares simply get bought up by Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Samsung, and all the others who already own significant holdings in ARM.

And I still think AMD’s rise has less to to with their work and more to do with TSMC’s. But Intel floundering for 5 years on their nodes and processes certainly didn’t hurt AMD’s efforts any.

Arm is not organized enough in my opinion to ever be a true threat, just another option.

Last I checked TSMC did not design the Zen cores, most people had wrote off AMD when they surprised everyone by suddenly being competitive with Intel again. So let's not give TSMC too much credit, AMD does leverage some of their tech as well but the foundation is AMD. Intel didn't have any reason to push and took their focus off the ball and well their Fabs went into to disarray. Looks like Intel is in the process of fixing it, but it came at a huge cost to them.

However both of them are facing the grim dark reality that relying on shrinking the chip is no longer going to get them the gains they used to and is becoming cost prohibitive. If they both stagnate due to this, then yeah ARM has a real shot, will just have to see how it unfolds.

This is far enough off topic that we will consider it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back