Should I keep it? Rosewill 1K

narsbars

2[H]4U
I am using a probably 10 year old Rosewill 1K and have a spare that has basically lived in a drawer as backup for the one I am using. I am planning on moving on up to a 4070 and was wondering if I can use the old connections that run my 3070 or is it time to toss it and get new? I run a vanilla set up X570, 5900, 2 NVMEs, and 2 SSDs, no spinnys and a single monitor. Opinions welcome.

If you're talking about reusing the wires from your old PSU with the new one, don't. They're likely incompatible (even if it's the same brand, sometimes even the same model), and even if they are compatible, there's no good reason to take that chance.

If you're asking whether you should get a new PSU...I would, but it may not be necessary. It depends on how well built yours is, how sensitive it is to power transients, etc. The fact that it is working fine with the 3070 is a good sign, because 4070s generally aren't as rough (about same or less power, run cooler), from what I understand.

Check that the 12v rails provide enough amps for the GPU. If the performance is good enough, I'd use it.
I run power supplies until they become insufficient, die, or no longer have the connectors I need.

I think that you would actually be better off continuing to use your existing power supply than trying to put the backup (that has not been turned on in 10 years) into service. It might seem counter-intuitive, but many components (capacitors in particular) can actually have a longer lifespan if they are used on at least a semi-regular basis compared to sitting unused for extended periods of time.

I wouldn't personally worry about the PSU being 10 years old. I have two 1000w PSUs from ~2007 that are still working great in secondary computers. I strongly believe that one of the main reasons that both are still working after so many years is because neither sat unused for long periods of time, nor were they ever abused. Good airflow and dust control in my cases over the years probably helped also.

I think that you would actually be better off continuing to use your existing power supply than trying to put the backup (that has not been turned on in 10 years) into service. It might seem counter-intuitive, but many components (capacitors in particular) can actually have a longer lifespan if they are used on at least a semi-regular basis compared to sitting unused for extended periods of time.

I wouldn't personally worry about the PSU being 10 years old. I have two 1000w PSUs from ~2007 that are still working great in secondary computers. I strongly believe that one of the main reasons that both are still working after so many years is because neither sat unused for long periods of time, nor were they ever abused. Good airflow and dust control in my cases over the years probably helped also.
I should have thought about the capacitors dying unused. I have rebuilt old radios that were put away in climate controlled conditions and I had to recap them completely.

Back