shield or fan for receiver heat?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a new receiver for my computer and it seems to put out a lot of heat. It's below my desk and the top of the receiver is only 1 1/2" to 2" below the bottom of the desk. I would like to get either a thin heat shield material or a small fan mounted to deal with this heat. The receiver really can't be moved as this is the only logical place for it to go in my setup. Any ideas?

Well, it's probably designed to operate at those temps. No harm in cooling it, but it's probably unnecessary

I know that but I'm trying to cool down the bottom of the desk. I was thinking a shield of some type on the bottom of the desk or a fan.

Don't use sheet metal. Metal is good conductor of heat. It will transfer right through to the desk. If you want to protect the desk, you can use the flame barrier that plumbers uses when they solder pipes around wood structures. It's like a thin piece of house insulation. I wish I could remember what it is called. If you go into a Home Depot plumbing section, they will know what it is. The only issue, its about 1 in thick. This may not allow enough air flow.

Since you are at Home Depot anyway, go to the tile section and find a cheap 12 x 12 ceramic tile. Ceramic is a decent heat shield for the money. Then go to the paint department and get a tube of Liquid Nails. Glue the tile to the bottom of the desk. Make sure you let the liquid naild set for 24 hrs before putting heat on it.

If you want to go the active route, try this usb fan. It will push some air away from the rec.
http://www.accessorygeeks.com/bluefan.html

I actually have a few of those ceramic tiles, but I don't want to use anything as permanent as liquid nails. I may try and see what stuff Home DePot or Lowes has. Although, I'm guessing I'll probably end up installing a fan underneath my desk instead.

I went to Lowe's a couple days ago, but was in a hurry and didn't have forever and a day to a. ask someone what I was looking for, b. finally find someone that knows WTF I'm talking about, and c. find the stuff. I'll go to Home Depot this week and see what's up. I'm thinking any shield material thin enough will be hard to find, so it's looking more and more like a fan under the desk.

Back