Sharp Aquos 52" LC52D85U 1080P LCD $999 + Tax Shipped @ Dell

I bought this from Dell a few months ago for a bit more and I feel it was definitely worth it!

Over the summer I bought basically the same set but with the built in Blu ray player. It's an awesome TV. Love watching it. At that price I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Mine will be here muhndee

wewt. Going from a 32 to a 52, in an apartment no less. LOL

Mine will be here muhndee

wewt. Going from a 32 to a 52, in an apartment no less. LOL

I'm like 5 ft away from my 50" and am moaning over not getting a 60". Previously it was a 40" and shit, hate to say it but bigger is way more awesome.

I'm like 5 ft away from my 50" and am moaning over not getting a 60". Previously it was a 40" and shit, hate to say it but bigger is way more awesome.

Once you get the 60" it still wont be enough, I have a 120" screen and I still want bigger :D

LCD is the shit of all the tech; that DLP is rated quite highly. You decide what your needs are. I personally prefer Plasma.

LCD is the shit of all the tech; that DLP is rated quite highly. You decide what your needs are. I personally prefer Plasma.

lolwut?

LCD's are the only one of the three that has technology progressing from it. I don't see plasmas becoming as thin as paper and flexible, low power usage.

What about LED LCD's. Even better than plasma.

Meh, arguing outside of genmay could get me in trouble. Either way, you're not the brightest crayon in the box.

DLP's are shit, seen enough in person. If you aren't sitting head on, be prepared for an even more shitty picture.

DLP is junk. Not gonna go into LCD vs Plasma would just derail this further.

Amazon has this also for a $100 more, so if you don't have to pay tax like you do with Dell it would round out to more or less near the same price.

BAH I was about to pull the trigger on it. and I was reminded (pretty rudely) that our home AC went out in Nov. And I better have $$ to fix it when it gets hot again.

Damn priorities getting in the way of my big screen!!!

Same here. I prefer plasma, it has a more natural image quality to it (Panasonic G10 50" owner). I waited a few years before I jumped on the "flat screen" bandwagon because none of the technologies were any good in my opinion. They all beat CRT for geometry and that was it. Picture quality was a mixed bag, especially with LCD.

i love my projector, but once the bulb starts dimming down and you realize itll cost you at least $100 a year on average just to use it regularly, a large LCD is much more intriguing. 52" is great because its large and still easy to find wall mounts for it. a 60" seems like it would be hard to hang, especially on a swinging/swivel mount. bigger is better though, FOR SURE!

First: Thanks for posting the great deal OP, this unit's really come down in price lately.

lolwut?

LCD's are the only one of the three that has technology progressing from it. I don't see plasmas becoming as thin as paper and flexible, low power usage.

What about LED LCD's. Even better than plasma.

Meh, arguing outside of genmay could get me in trouble. Either way, you're not the brightest crayon in the box.
Plasmas have gotten thinner, and have dropped their energy usage to nearly half in the past year or so, so advancements are evidently still being made, still looks like a sort of dead end tech though.

Way off topic man, we're entitled to our opinions and all, but you sorta threadcrapped the OP when you "helped" the other guy out ;)

Last edited:
I don't see plasmas becoming as thin as paper and flexible, low power usage.

Samsung B850

I'm not trying to contradict you by any means. Just saying plasma still has some innovation left in it.

Not a bad price for the Sharp though. Personally I used to work with that T.V. and it did have a bit of back-light bleed, only noticeable in the dark, however.

Way off topic man, we're entitled to our opinions and all, but you sorta threadcrapped the OP when you "helped" the other guy out ;)

Comes with having no sleep in a 50 some hour time span. Realized while in my sleep this would lead to something and wala, some LCD musclehead was there to man the fort.

That DLP he posted has people raving about it, how it beats their plasma and LCDs, doesn't have the problems of older DLPs. That's just from what I read (SD has a thread on it). It's also 65" vs 52" hence.. he should decide what his wants are.

Since ppl are arguing on "dead end" tech, LCD, plasma, DLP are all dead ends anyways. And why I didn't include LED.. I ono, maybe cuz' it's 3x the price for a similar sized set?

Comes with having no sleep in a 50 some hour time span. Realized while in my sleep this would lead to something and wala, some LCD musclehead was there to man the fort.

That DLP he posted has people raving about it, how it beats their plasma and LCDs, doesn't have the problems of older DLPs. That's just from what I read (SD has a thread on it). It's also 65" vs 52" hence.. he should decide what his wants are.

Since ppl are arguing on "dead end" tech, LCD, plasma, DLP are all dead ends anyways. And why I didn't include LED.. I ono, maybe cuz' it's 3x the price for a similar sized set?
I wouldn't call them dead ends, they all have their places depending on the application. LCD for a set that can be viewed in a room flooded with light, plasma in a light controlled room, DLP when you need a large screen and don't have mega bucks to spend and can deal with the viewing angle issues that come along with it, and LED is just a backlight technology for LCDs at the moment.

I'm hoping that Canon can get thier shit together and bring SED to market. Last I read was Canon is still working on SED (think an array of tiny picture tubes), too bad they screwed themselves with the patents, hence the delay in production, that is some cool tech.

Back