Sell iPad 1 and get Nexus 7?

sed8em

2[H]4U
I currently have an iPad 1 32gb, thinking about selling it and getting the new Nexus 7 32gb. I could easily sell the iPad with Otterbox and Logitech keyboard for $250-$275 on Craigslist and get a new Nexus.

Negatives to the iPad that I'm not liking are Apple's closed ecosystem, and it is getting a little slow in browsing new websites and running newer apps. It is 4 years old so I'm not surprised.

What I like about the Nexus 7 is it is smaller, I usually use my tablet for reading books, magazines, Netflix, and email. Not a huge game player. Also like the built in camera for Skype and the new nVidia processor.

Would this be a reasonable upgrade?

I find the screen size between 7 and 10 to be substantially different - I know you're saying that that's something that you like, but make sure you've spent enough time to be sure that it's what you really want. I guess if you were just looking to go android, or get a newer tablet you could consider the Nexus 10 as well.

I guess all I'm saying is - be sure that you really want a 7" tablet because if you're just saying nexus 7 because the price matches up with what you can get for your iPad then you might be better off throwing in a few more bucks to get another 10" tablet.

I played with the Nexus 7 at Office Depot last week and really liked the size of it. Hopefully it wasn't just new gadget envy, but it was very nice and lightweight.
Holding up a 10" tablet while reading books does get heavy after awhile, even while watching Netflix in bed.

How good are your eyes?

I find 7" a little small for reading. I have various PDF textbooks loaded on mine and I need to zoom in most of the time. The text is tiny.

On the other hand, text looks better on the N7 because of the higher pixel density.

Negatives to the iPad that I'm not liking are Apple's closed ecosystem, and it is getting a little slow in browsing new websites and running newer apps. It is 4 years old so I'm not surprised.

What is the actual downside you see (I have never owned a tablet and I am thinking about the iPad Mini). To me, I see an Ecosystem with over a quarter million actual tablet applications, which is an upside.

Beyond that it depends what you do a lot. If web browsing is one of those things consider how much screen real estate you will lose.

I Tried out my friends 7" 16:10 tablets and I found web browsing a pain. It is more like a smartphone experience than a tablet experience. The Mini seems a lot closer to a regular iPad web experience than the 7" androids. Two comparison photos to highlight.

iPad vs Mini:
iPadmini.110202.002.JPG

Mini vs Kindle Fire HD (same size screen as Nexus):
iPadmini.110202.009.JPG

Who browses in landscape mode, and why does the Fire waste so much space to the UI? Technically speaking the Nexus 7 is higher res than the iPad mini, so unless you're purposely breaking the scaling (or just find text too small) it should display at least the same amount of content when zoomed out... And text should be sharper at any given zoom level. The iPad has some things going for it, but the mini's current screen was just a bad compromise to reach a given price point while maintaining a high profit margin on it (not that there's anything wrong with that, given their customer base and modus operandi).

I'm actually looking to move from my 10" Transformer to something smaller as well, something easier to hold with one hand for an hour or two... I'm resisting the urge to just get a Nexus 7 and sell my TF tho, since it's not even a year and a half old yet and still runs reasonably well. I'm hoping for a Nexus 7 refresh this next summer but if it looks lime they're gonna move to a winter update schedule I'll probably break down before then and upgrade.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of 7" tablets at all. Way too small. No good for magazines or PDF's. Even the widescreen format android 10" tablets feel too small for me. The ipad size is nice for PDF's and magazines though.

If it were me i'd use a large screen phone such as the note instead. Or step up all the way to a 10". But that's just me.

I carry a note.... And don't ever use my nexus 7 anymore because the note doubles for both.

So now my nexus 7 is for sale. But, it is a pretty BA little tablet compared t my wife's ipad

I Tried out my friends 7" 16:10 tablets and I found web browsing a pain.

Movies and paperbacks are usually 16:9, so they are better with the Nexus.

What ratio monitor do you use on your desktop for web browsing?

Paperback novels are free flowing text when in ebook form, so they don't have a set aspect but work with whatever screen they are on.

Books with pictures/PDF/Magazines are all closer to 4:3 than 16:9.

Yes you get less black bars in video, but you usually aren't trying to read small text in movies, so it really isn't the same as dealing with the frustration of trying to web browse, read pdfs on a small 16:9, or 16:10 screen.

PDF's and magazines formatted for 4:3 is one thing, that can be an issue since you just end up wasting space with a wider aspect ratio... I've had zero issues web browsing on my 16:10 Transformer tho, and I use it in portrait like 95% of the time. Sites and browsers scale and reflow text well enough.

The Nexus 7 and most Android tablets are 16:10 btw, not 16:9... Hell most Android phones are now 16:10. Windows 8 tablets seem to be going 16:9 (which is immediately obvious when you're coming from 16:10). In landscape Android obviously sacrifices some of that extra height to the UI, portrait too but it's less of a relative loss IMO.

I dunno what publishers of more static content (PDF, mags) are gonna end up doing when Windows/Android take more market share... Even the iPhone doesn't share the iPad's aspect ratio anymore.

PDF's and magazines formatted for 4:3 is one thing, that can be an issue since you just end up wasting space with a wider aspect ratio... I've had zero issues web browsing on my 16:10 Transformer tho, and I use it in portrait like 95% of the time. Sites and browsers scale and reflow text well enough.

I specifically said small tablets, the transformer is a 10" tablet, so of course it isn't going to have the same issues as a 16:10 7" tablet.

It also runs the same resolution as a Nexus 7... They're both 1280x800. Zoomed out you'll see the exact same thing on either and zoomed in you'll be scrolling around on a properly scaled/resized site. I've tested out the Nexus 7 and found it very comfortable for web browsing. /shrug

It also runs the same resolution as a Nexus 7... They're both 1280x800. Zoomed out you'll see the exact same thing on either and zoomed in you'll be scrolling around on a properly scaled/resized site. I've tested out the Nexus 7 and found it very comfortable for web browsing. /shrug

So are some smartphones, but it is going to be a hell of lot easier to browse on the transformer than a smartphone with the same resolution. Size trumps resolution when it comes to things like web browsing.

Most sites scale pretty well tho, it's just a bit more scrolling either way... It's not like you'd read long articles while fully zoomed out on either device. I mean I can easily read this thread fully zoomed out on my phone but I wouldn't bother to read more than a post or two like that...

The Nexus 7 seems to do some extra font scaling too. At the end of the day it's a very subjective thing, everyone's vision and concept of comfort is relative. Luckily you can try all these tablets out in store, and he definitely should (Kindle Fires would be the exception, and it's a shame cause they got one of the few current gen 8.9" models!).

I dunno what publishers of more static content (PDF, mags) are gonna end up doing when Windows/Android take more market share... Even the iPhone doesn't share the iPad's aspect ratio anymore.

I know what they will be doing....nothing, because people will continue reading them on devices that format them properly. It is idiotic to force content to change to support hardware...hardware should support content. Period.

What ratio monitor do you use on your desktop for web browsing?

The iPad mini will display a larger image for 16:9 material than will a Nexus 7, so it is not better on a Nexus. Plus the mini will let you see more of a webpage than the Nexus 7.

The iPad mini will display a larger image for 16:9 material than will a Nexus 7, so it is not better on a Nexus. .

If all you want is larger image get a 10" tablet. The Nexus 7 will display it at a higher resolution, with more pixels per inch, and less wasted space. The Nexus 7 is not only superior, but cheaper.

Going from a 10" to 7" screen size is a big difference, never mind the aspect ratio. I find its much easier to get used to the larger size/weight/less portability, than constantly having to zoom/reflow/adjust. But I feel the same way about phones.

Sell old iPad, get new 4th generation iPad. Fastest hardware by miles (hell, the old 3rd gen iPad still blows everything away), best display, and the best apps. There is no good alternative unless you're trying to get below $300, in which case the Nexus 7 is the next step down.

Back