Samsung JS9500 review

x3sphere

2[H]4U
Review of the new Samsung flagship TV is out, and if OLED is still out of your reach it looks much more impressive than last year's sets.

Apparently supports 4:4:4/60 Hz *with* HDCP 2.2
Only 21ms input lag
FALD backlighting

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ue65js9500-201502234012.htm

I'm glad to see Samsung making a serious improvement in the input lag department, pretty much every manufacture last year was at 40ms or above aside from Vizio.

From the review:

"*Note: We didn’t manage to test 4:4:4 chroma using a Chillblast gaming PC fitted with Geforce GTX 970 graphics card, but Samsung reassured us that all four HDMI 2.0 ports on the JS9500 support 3840×2160 4:4:4 resolution at 50/60fps together with HDCP 2.2."

Didn't Samsung say the exact same thing about their 2014 models (HU6950, etc.) and it turns out they DON'T support 4:4:4? Can we really take Samsung's word for it this time around?

From the review:

"*Note: We didn’t manage to test 4:4:4 chroma using a Chillblast gaming PC fitted with Geforce GTX 970 graphics card, but Samsung reassured us that all four HDMI 2.0 ports on the JS9500 support 3840×2160 4:4:4 resolution at 50/60fps together with HDCP 2.2."

Didn't Samsung say the exact same thing about their 2014 models (HU6950, etc.) and it turns out they DON'T support 4:4:4? Can we really take Samsung's word for it this time around?

Yes, but they fixed it via a firmware update for the HU8550 and HU9000. It was never guaranteed for the models under that.

Oversaturated and inaccurate colors. Yup. That's a Samsung screen alright.

It has vertical banding to boot for a TV at this price range and high specs... I'll rather take that new OLED instead.

Yes, but they fixed it via a firmware update for the HU8550 and HU9000. It was never guaranteed for the models under that.

Yeah I heard about the firmware update for the higher end models. Hopefully they will actually make 4:4:4 60hz available on all models this time around from the get go. Also waiting to see if Vizio's new UHD M Series will support 4:4:4. Gah last year the 4:4:4 issue was the only thing stopping me (and many others) from getting a giant 4k display for use as a computer monitor.

Trusted Reviews had an input lag of 65 ms.

Probably didn't have it in Game mode...

Looking at the review I posted above, they got 65ms in PC mode, and 78ms in Movie. So having it on Game seems to be key.

I wonder if having it on Game locks you out from getting 4:4:4 though. On every Samsung set I've used you had to have it in PC mode for full chroma.

Edit: Nvm, it shouldn't. If it's anything like the HU8550, Game mode is a separate setting and you can turn it on while in PC mode.

Last edited:
Back