RetroPC hardware and software

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I recently built a Windows 98se PC for older games. The reason I went with 98 over XP is I wanted to use Glide on my voodoo card and windows XP only seemed to like OpenGL.

Specs are:

K6-2 450mhz
Tyan s1590 100AT
288mb of pc-100
Voodoo 3 2000 PC
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
Generic IDE CD-ROM
20gb Seagate IDE drive
Unknown 10mb ISA NIC
Generic PCI to USB card
Windows 98SE

My biggest issue so far is trying to use the internet. It took me over an hour to find a copy of IE6.0. I understand the whole point of this PC is gaming AND how unsecure this is but it's annoying as all hell downloading items on my desktop and copying them across on a USB stick.

I used to use www.oldapps.com but I had no luck for any downloads today. They would all time out. Anyone know what's up with that? I have better luck on old www.version.com but I didn't even see it for about an hour lol

If anyone else is building a vintage PC, please post here with specs, pictures, suggestions, whatever!

Well, since it's still here, here is some of the items being put to good use in the system! I had to switch to an ATI 9250 card for DVI, but otherwise the same as listed above!

IMG_20171231_213029.jpg

I used to have a K6-2 550 (memory getting rough), I gave it away.

The amount of good gear I either gave away or threw out would make even the hardest individual cry. :cry:

Did same as you about a year ago. Pulled a bunch of old gear out of storage and built a Win98se gaming rig running Glide.

USB stick from modern PC to the retro rig is time consuming, but it is the best option overall in my opinion. Most of the internet just does not play well with a 20 years old OS.

Used as much old hardware as I could. Made a concession when it came to the monitor though. Lugging that 20" trinitron upstairs was not an option. If it weren't so big and heavy would have trashed it long ago.

System:

mobo - ASUS KR7A
CPU - Athlon 1700+
PSU - Fortron 300w
memory - 2x 256mb
GPU - VooDoo4

Attachments

• voodoo.desk3a.jpg
    voodoo.desk3a.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 13
  • VooDoo.native.test.JPG
    VooDoo.native.test.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
  • voodoo4.ut.jpg
    voodoo4.ut.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
  • kr7a.4.jpg
    kr7a.4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Did same as you about a year ago. Pulled a bunch of old gear out of storage and built a Win98se gaming rig running Glide.

USB stick from modern PC to the retro rig is time consuming, but it is the best option overall in my opinion. Most of the internet just does not play well with a 20 years old OS.

Used as much old hardware as I could. Made a concession when it came to the monitor though. Lugging that 20" trinitron upstairs was not an option. If it weren't so big and heavy would have trashed it long ago.

System:

mobo - ASUS KR7A
CPU - Athlon 1700+
PSU - Fortron 300w
memory - 2x 256mb
GPU - VooDoo4

God I wish I had a voodoo4 lol. I have so many graphics card options available to me, but the voodoo3 is the newest glide card.

Thanks for the pictures!

System:

mobo - ASUS KR7A
CPU - Athlon 1700+
PSU - Fortron 300w
memory - 2x 256mb
GPU - VooDoo4

I should have mentioned that I have about 14 million Athlon XP processors here if you ever wanted a newer one than that.

Had the VooDoo4 since 2000. Long story short, my friend gave it to me for nothing after HP sent him a GeForce2 card as replacement because the Glide drivers were glitchy as hell with WinME the system came with.

You will like the thread I started last February. Rally morphed well over a couple months. Funny thing is, I almost tossed all this hardware back in 2006 but something stopped me and I stuck it all in storage bins instead.

https://hardforum.com/threads/3dfx-voodoo-retro-rig-capacitor-thread.1922244/

Had the VooDoo4 since 2000. Long story short, my friend gave it to me for nothing after HP sent him a GeForce2 card as replacement because the Glide drivers were glitchy as hell with WinME the system came with.

You will like the thread I started last February. Rally morphed well over a couple months. Funny thing is, I almost tossed all this hardware back in 2006 but something stopped me and I stuck it all in storage bins instead.

https://hardforum.com/threads/3dfx-voodoo-retro-rig-capacitor-thread.1922244/

Ha! I commented on that post. I recognized it as soon as it opened.

I picked up all of this stuff from a local thrift store. I've been pretty lucky.

Right on. Thought your moniker look familiar. have not visited that thread in months.

14 million? A lot of gold on all those pins :D Think I am pretty good on CPUs. Have several 1700 and 1800. Most of which I have overclocked over 3200 speeds in the past. Plus a fellow member was good enough to surprise me with a free 2700 along with the old socket A Swiftech heatsink he sold me.

Sweet man! My first computer was a K6-2 350mhz

I've built a couple in the past 6 months,

First one was:

Athlon K7 700 mhz (Slot A)
FIC SD11 Motherboard
468 MB pc100
Diamond Viper 770 32mb (TNT2)
Sound Blaster Live Value Sound Card

Second was
Athlon XP Barton 1.8ghz & Palamino 1.4ghz
1.5GB DDR PC 400
Asus A8v Motherboard
Creative Annihilator 2 Geforce 2 GTS 32MB
Sound Blaster Live 5.1

Third was
Athlon 64X2 2.4ghz
4GB DDR2
Asus A7n8X Deluxe Motherboard
Evga GTX 7900 512mb Video Card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1

Finally settled on

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.8ghz OC
Intel D975BX2 Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
XFX Geforce 9800+ 512MB Video Card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (a bitch to get working under Windows 7)

All of the parts I still own, Just ran out of cases to use :p

Last edited:
Athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz
Nvidia geforce 3
512mb ram
Asus k7v i think it is
Soundblaster audio

Got all the parts given to me, put a old 120gb hard drive in it, tracked down an cpu cooler threw xp on it and loaded up warcraft 3 and medal of honor had a blast

Back