Replacing my HTPC Alienware Alpha R2 with my Steam Deck?

samduhman

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought the Steam Deck 512 last year and have easily less than 10 hours on it. I have considered selling it however a thought keeps returning to my mind. I've been wanting to replace my 2016 Alienware R2 console that I use as a home theater PC as it's getting sluggish even when web browsing. I don't want to spend a lot of money and keep looking at those mini pcs (Minisforum and Beelinks). Would my Steam Deck be a better option? As it should easily out perform the cheaper mini pcs I've looked at.

I already have a standing dock with HDMI out and 3 usbs I use on a computer monitor to configure EMUDECK. I'm just not sure how well the Steam desktop OS would perform for surfing the web and streaming from the internet and my Synology NAS.

I have but just for configuring EMUDECK. I haven't tried to use it like as a desktop like I do with my Windows systems.... and I get your point. ;) I just have this weird hangup about using it as a htpc but if it will absolutely work and is a nice upgrade over my Alpha R2 then I should just DO IT. :) I have a follow on question, has anyone used their Steam Deck on a 4K 65" TV. That would be the deal breaker if it's not capable of running and displaying ok...... Hooking it up to my tv just for testing is not a simple task as I have a massive tv/entertainment center and adding/removing a device is a PITA.

Last edited:
I have but just for configuring EMUDECK. I haven't tried to use it like as a desktop like I do with my Windows systems.... and I get your point. ;) I just have this weird hangup about using it as a htpc but if it will absolutely work and is a nice upgrade over my Alpha R2 then I should just DO IT. :) I have a follow on question, has anyone used their Steam Deck on a 4K 65" TV. That would be the deal breaker if it's not capable of running and displaying ok...... Hooking it up to my tv just for testing is not a simple task as I have a massive tv/entertainment center and adding/removing a device is a PITA.
google says it will run 4k just fine for normal desktop use and video, not gaming though.

brought my deck with me a few months back on a vacation and had my dock with me.. also brought my laptop / hdmi cable to stream videos and browse, etc on a big tv at the house we were renting... somehow forgot laptop power supply. Deck did excellent streaming Netflix / peacock / hbo to a TV via dock / hdmi.

Back