Remnant 2 (sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes)

I ran into the Labyrinth boss last night (I haven't had much time to play lately) and it's pretty nuts. It's both the most annoying and possibly the most compelling boss fight I can recall. You'll want to destroy your controller and congratulate whoever came up with it at the same time.

I ran into the Labyrinth boss last night (I haven't had much time to play lately) and it's pretty nuts. It's both the most annoying and possibly the most compelling boss fight I can recall. You'll want to destroy your controller and congratulate whoever came up with it at the same time.
Are you talking about

cube_41.jpg

Well, there's your problem.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I need to watch some more videos on how to play this better. I understand there is no way to upgrade armor...is there any way to "get better defense?" (Git gud notwithstanding.) ;)

The asylum area was impressive. It almost reminded me of Thief and Dishonored.

I need to watch some videos on how to play this better. I understand there is no way to upgrade armor...is there any way to "get better defense?" (Git gud notwithstanding.) ;)

From what I can tell the best way to improve things like that = a combination of new armor pieces, traits (put points toward your health), and putting specific shards in your Dragon's Heart.
The shards don't seem to do much early in the game, but you can pile traits toward getting more health right away. I maxed that stat totally out in the first few hours.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I stink at this game but I'm enjoying it so far.
As a man of gaming culture I'm surprised you never played the first one. Remnant 1 is still one of my desert island games. I reckon we'll see a similar trajectory with Remnant 2 & 1 as we did with Borderlands 2 & 1, where Borderlands 2 was the bigger mass-appeal title that brought lots of people in, and once people finished BL2 then many went back and played BL1 - and recognized it had its own unique heart and charm, even if rougher around the edges. For me, those rough edges were what made it my favorite BL game of all time, and I also didn't discover it until after BL2 as my entrypoint.

Last edited:
the Remnant games are meant to be played co-op and seems designed in that way (especially the first game, I'm not sure about the sequel)...but you can still get a rewarding experience solo...
This isn't the reality though, and you may be in a bit of a blindspot experiencing a game through youtube reviews or reddit opinions rather than just playing for yourself and making up your own mind. There are definitely games where they feel designed for co-op and you're getting a crippled, afterthought experience playing solo, but Remnant was not one. 98% of my Remnant game hours were solo, but the 2% I did co-op were some of the best gaming moments I've had, like it was consistently cool, helpful people I'd auto-match with. And I attribute part of that to game design rather than just being lucky. The teamwork aspect is great fun, and you can drop-in or drop-out of it without needing to necessarily commit to one or the other, it's very fluid.

I'm normally the "fuck off multiplayer, I'm going to explore this map at my own pace without any kid joining that wants to race to the end" type, but Gunfire's design managed a nice balance that softened my stance there.

Last edited:
This isn't the reality though, and you may be in a bit of a blindspot experiencing a game through youtube reviews or reddit opinions rather than just playing for yourself and making up your own mind. There are definitely games where they feel designed for co-op and you're getting a crippled, afterthought experience playing solo, but Remnant was not one. 98% of my Remnant game hours were solo, but the 2% I did co-op were some of the best gaming moments I've had, like it was consistently cool, helpful people I'd auto-match with. And I attribute part of that to game design rather than just being lucky. The teamwork aspect is great fun, and you can drop-in or drop-out of it without needing to necessarily commit to one or the other, it's very fluid.

I'm normally the "fuck off multiplayer, I'm going to explore this map at my own pace without any kid joining that wants to race to the end" type, but Gunfire's design managed a nice balance that softened my stance there.

I don't think there's any question that the game was designed as a co-op experience...the developers themselves will admit that...that being said it doesn't mean that the solo experience is 'crippled'...like I said you can get a rewarding experience playing solo...same with Dying Light which is meant to be played co-op...I played it solo and loved it but there's no denying how the game was intended to be played

I'm sure I can find an interview where the Remnant developers state that...I bet in every game review 95% of them will say the same thing as well...the concept of having to buy every game before being able to form an opinion on them is ridiculous...I have a few trusted sources and I also get a feel from gameplay videos, interviews etc...same with Armored Core 6, I'm not feeling it as much as earlier games from the developer...doesn't mean it sucks, it just means I will wait and see and may get it Day 1, may get it later on or never at all

I trust myself to gather information about games and won't blindly buy any game...same with any product such as computer hardware, movies, TV series etc...there is no one size fits all...what you may love another person may not etc...I'm not a fan of Diablo and Baldur's Gate top down view type of games...they seem like great games if you're into that genre but I'm not...doesn't mean I'm wrong or I must buy the games to experience it first before forming an opinion...I still haven't played Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto 5 etc which are some of the best reviewed games of all time for various reasons

Last edited:
like this
Man this game runs great on my laptop but my 3080 is struggling at 4k, like 40-50fps, had to turn the res down to 1440p to get 70-80, but honestly it still looks pretty good so I just went with it. I'm guessing frame generation makes a big difference here.

For the life of me - I can't find the damn third seeker's key - I've searched everywhere.

This one youtube video says the third key is at the hatchery - I don't have that on my map - at all.

It appears maps are different/random - anyone else find the third key without having the hatchery on their map??

Remnant Save Guardian: Auto-backup manager for saves. I put this in place after an early-game hard freeze corrupted my save. By default it backs up your saves every 10min and up to 100 saves, but it's configurable, and can be triggered manually at any time. Also has a World Analyzer tab, which I'd recommend ignoring until after a few playthroughs because being able to see the entire world roll kills the mystery, and it's really more of a tool for completionists and when re-rolling in pursuit of specific items.

https://github.com/Razzmatazzz/RemnantSaveGuardian

1690744139308.png

Last edited:
I think the game's 100% fine as a solo experience. There are a couple things that probably would have been easier with a partner, but I haven't encountered anything too wild. The cube fight has been the toughest thing, and I think that's actually because it's so unique. I hated doing it, but I kinda love the concept. Playing solo is pretty much "Souls with guns" just like the first one. Way more secrets, though. I've played through a few areas I thought were just going to be a hidden door with some loot only to discover a whole new massive level.
In terms of builds, I'm finding the Challenger + Hunter to be a pretty solid combo. Survivability plus the ability to do hefty damage from long range. On the mod side of things, I found one called firestorm that completely melts powerful enemies in a pretty tight radius. It can wreck you, too, but the Challenger's ability to revive allows you to go go ham with your shotgun while it's burning everything.

I'm running gunslinger and am planning on adding hunter I'm just always so damn low on scrap!

If this is another "souls like" I'm definitely passing. The amount of time they expect you to sink into these games is absolutely ridiculous.

If this is another "souls like" I'm definitely passing. The amount of time they expect you to sink into these games is absolutely ridiculous.

it's sounds more like Borderlands than Souls...the procedurally generated worlds is the main unique selling point

it's sounds more like Borderlands than Souls...the procedurally generated worlds is the main unique selling point
The satisfying gun/melee combat is the main selling point, the rest are added bonuses.

The random worlds aren't that random. They mostly follow a pattern and certain things are in the same place every time for everyone. IMO, it's still way more Souls than anything else. Especially if you've ever taken a stab at playing a ranged character in a Souls or Souls-like game.

Remnant always felt more like those third-person shooty ARPGs that came before it, to me, like Defiance. It never really felt Soulslike.

I never played any souls games, but Remnant wasn't nearly as hard as people hype souls games up to be. There were some hard areas, but you can just go level up your stuff and they're easier, like an RPG. It also didn' feel anything like borderlands to me.

It’s similar to Souls games in the sense that it’s difficult (easier, but still) and that it follows the fixed health resource until you rest, which respawns all the enemies. The boss encounters are quite different though, they’re almost like puzzles you need to solve. To me it totally feels like if a Souls game and Borderlands had a baby.

My youtube feed is flooded with build guides now. We need a site that shows all the builds and perhaps ranks them.

I’m gunslinger and hunter cuz pew pew.

I’m actually enjoying this way more than I expected to. Probably will barely touch D4 this season because of it. Already looking forward to running the campaign again, haven’t even tried anything in adventure mode yet.

My only complaint so far are that there is no leveling or set bonuses to armor and that scrap is way too scarce. I’m starting to get some cool weapons I’d like to run with but they’re just not viable at low levels.

I'm still rocking the starting Challenger weapons, the pistol and shotgun. I've upgraded them to something like +14 and am mostly still happy with 'em. The pistol runs out of ammo faster than I'd like, but it does hit like a truck for a small weapon. I haven't upgraded the melee weapon all that much (I think it's only +5) because melee is so situational in this game. It's okay against certain bosses, but most of the time it's kinda useless. I actually made a run through the entire first game playing mostly melee, too.

Reactions: w35t
like this
My youtube feed is flooded with build guides now. We need a site that shows all the builds and perhaps ranks them.
Historically, Fextralife has been solid for that kind of thing (https://remnant2.wiki.fextralife.com/). But with the game still new-ish, not too many builds yet. Which leaves Reddit, and the usual youtube bait for ten year olds "Get the BEST gear EZ in the first 5 minutes and BREAK the game?!", etc.

But Fextralife is still good to have up on a second screen for looking up an obscure item quickly.

Last edited:
Started a new character, playing on Adventure mode so far Yaesha and Nerud have the same map layout as my other character on campaign... Keep in mind I've rerolled the maps on both characters like a dozen times.
So far I have seen 0 procedural generation. My entire game looks the same at all times. Each starting spot looks the same on both toons, and it's the same every reroll.

Started a new character, playing on Adventure mode so far Yaesha and Nerud have the same map layout as my other character on campaign... Keep in mind I've rerolled the maps on both characters like a dozen times.
So far I have seen 0 procedural generation. My entire game looks the same at all times. Each starting spot looks the same on both toons, and it's the same every reroll.
Do the NPCs and bosses change at all?

I’ve only just started adventure mode and found a boss I didn’t see in my campaign, a damn hard one too, The Red Prince. I also found a dungeon in the area I didn’t have which had an npc in it, so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

Also, if any of you are as annoyed by how little scrap you get there’s a glitch you can use to farm as much as you want. Just need one of a few weapons to do it.

World Analyzer shows everything changing each time. Worth mentioning there are only like 2 possible boss/event rolls each time, they just keep cycling back and forth.
I also pulled up some youtube videos and compared their maps to mine and it's also identical.

If there is randomized gen here, it's very small. I wonder if dungeon maps utilize it more.

I don't think the randomness factor is very strong at all. It sounds like the overworld maps can change slightly and sometimes they have doors that lead to boss areas...occasionally not. I guess there are something like 5 possible areas in each world. You might have access to all 5, maybe only 3 or 4. That's pretty much it.

like this
I'm putting in a lot of work with the Crossbow for ranged and Enigma (sort of reminds me of Anarchy from Destiny 2.) Hard game (for me) but really good.

I am still playing the campaign on my first run. I haven't done anything else yet. I wasn't sure how much adventure mode changed, either, but I will get to it before too long.

Heads up for anyone using the World Analyzer tool, it's not working perfectly. I've had it show available locations that didn't exist on the map, and had it show items in a specific area that were actually in another area.
It's mostly accurate but you can't rely on it 100%.

Just beat the final boss, man that second phase was rough. Damn solid ride, will probably re-roll the campaign tomorrow!

Jeez this thread is making me want to play the game.
I did play first Remnants game, but only for an hour of so. It seemed different but I was just not much into solo gaming back then.
Starfield, Baldur's Gate 3, Remnants II, Mortal Kombat 1... gonna be a busy late summer/early autumn

Back