Refub Corsair P128 SSD $149.99

Boy, the combination of "refurb" and "SSD" together just give me the willies. :D

agreed, theres no real way to test for SIMD wear and to define repair or replace thresholds.Plus not much cheaper than the kingston series, same speeds.

I have this SSD and its great, however, I would NEVER buy a returd SSD.

To be honest if I had the cash I would do it.. Still a better drive then the kingstons & no rebate. Works out to be 75 bucks per 64 gb & even used 64gb ssd's aren't that cheap (80 bucks for a 64gb kingston used ont he FS/T forums).

I am using a Corsair 256 GB SSD refurb I picked up from fry's and it's been perfect, BUT I flashed it to the Patriot Firmware because Corsair firmware is dogshit.. I don't suggest doing this and all SSD drives have an unusually high failure rate.. Corsair makes good PSU's and Memory but their SSD Dept is retarded.. I would not buy their drives. Just like I would buy an OCZ or Crucial SSD but I wouldn't buy an OCZ PSU..

I just saw it has 2 year warranty worth the risk...

You would buy an OCZ or Crucial SSD? Those are pretty much the two worst brands in terms of support. The P128 is a damn good drive for the price. Sexy deal.

EDIT: To clarify, I own two C300s in RAID 0 and they work great. But after seeing Crucial's unbelievably poor handling of firmware upgrades for the C300 and M4 series, I doubt I will ever buy from them again.

I am using a Corsair 256 GB SSD refurb I picked up from fry's and it's been perfect, BUT I flashed it to the Patriot Firmware because Corsair firmware is dogshit.. I don't suggest doing this and all SSD drives have an unusually high failure rate.. Corsair makes good PSU's and Memory but their SSD Dept is retarded.. I would not buy their drives. Just like I would buy an OCZ or Crucial SSD but I wouldn't buy an OCZ PSU..

I just saw it has 2 year warranty worth the risk...
As soon as you admit that you would but an OCZ SSD over a Corsair you lost all respect in the realm of SSD's..

You would buy an OCZ or Crucial SSD? Those are pretty much the two worst brands in terms of support. The P128 is a damn good drive for the price. Sexy deal.
Crucial is well known for great support & a product that rarely needs any support. OCZ though definitely has the worst customer service though.

I realize Crucial's memory support is top-notch. I buy their memory all the time. Their SSD support, however, is right down their with OCZ (buggy firmware, slow releases, lame responses to complaints).

As soon as you admit that you would but an OCZ SSD over a Corsair you lost all respect in the realm

Save it if you don't own a Corsair drive bro. Seriously try and update the firmware on one of these Corsair's if they even have a firmware update.. Do your homework Corsair is sub par in this dept.. OCZ has way better SSD support and their community is head and shoulders above Corsair in SSD world.. For the record these are re-packaged Patriots so whatever. Thanks for keeping the realm safe though since you seem to speak from experience.

Save it if you don't own a Corsair drive bro. Seriously try and update the firmware on one of these Corsair's if they even have a firmware update.. Do your homework Corsair is sub par in this dept.. OCZ has way better SSD support and their community is head and shoulders above Corsair in SSD world.. For the record these are re-packaged Patriots so whatever. Thanks for keeping the realm safe though since you seem to speak from experience.

Last time I checked they are a rebrand Samsung drive. I can't find anything about it being a Patriot. :confused:

EDIT: Found it. But it's for the Extreme Series using the Indilinx Barefoot Controller.

Last edited:
I realize Crucial's memory support is top-notch. I buy their memory all the time. Their SSD support, however, is right down their with OCZ (buggy firmware, slow releases, lame responses to complaints).
Dude I don't know if you realize this, but the same can be said about everyone else who makes SSD's including Intel. Its all just a matter of how many people have the drives.

I don't own a corsair, however I have owned an OCZ & experienced 1st hand the drive degradation over the course of the 1st 6 months where my write speeds dropped into the 20mb/s range & eventually where the drive just died. I have also read up on the switching of chips without telling anyone & making the drives even slower.. A quick check on the interwebs says Corsair never did that so that would definitely put corsair above OCZ..

Last time I checked they are a rebrand Samsung drive. I can't find anything about it being a Patriot. :confused:

EDIT: Found it. But it's for the Extreme Series using the Indilinx Barefoot Controller.
I Dont think its a re-branded anything. I believe that its made by corsair with a Samsung Controller & Samsung Memory.

Regardless, it looks like a good deal, especially since it comes with a 2 year warranty. All the refurbs I have seen have only had a 90 day warranty. It having the Samsung controller is probably a good thing since they have not had as many issues as the Indy or Sandforce controllers. You only need firmware upgrades if the controller is not performing at it's best performance or it started out buggy, such as the new Sandforce controllers. I would rather have a drive that did not need constant firmware updates because it just worked than one that I had to wait two years before it worked correctly.

I bought one of these from Microcenter... the only reason why I bite is because it was for my wifes computer and I got it for $90....

Back