reformatting WD drive to 4Kn sectors?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 4 active WD drives plus older WD and HGST drives that I would like to format to 4Kn for capacity and operational improvements. I have seen a lot of links that describe how to change the drive sector size. I have also read posts where they say that the sector size is fixed in the drive's firmware. Is this true? Is it possible or practical to modify yourself? I am an experienced system builder but have never done drive firmware updates or mods.

EDIT: No Seagate drives.

Physical sector size is set by the manufacturer. From what I remember, you can still format the disk to use a larger logical sector size, even if the physical sector size is not 4k, but regardless... the performance increase is minimal and you may as well go modify config.sys and autoexec.bat

Physical sector size is set by the manufacturer. From what I remember, you can still format the disk to use a larger logical sector size, even if the physical sector size is not 4k, but regardless... the performance increase is minimal and you may as well go modify config.sys and autoexec.bat
config.sys? autoexec.bat? Does Windows even use these files?

Back