Redfall (Arkane Studios)

Aren't some games just so bad that unless you completely don't value your own time, they aren't worth playing at all even for free

20240114_012821.jpg

Market the game some more

Arkane Austin, the development studio responsible for Redfall, has been shuttered by Microsoft. Tango Gameworks, who made The Evil Within and Hi-Fi Rush, also got the axe.

https://www.ign.com/articles/micros...orks-and-more-in-devastating-cuts-at-bethesda

Microsoft said:
Arkane Austin – This studio will close with some members of the team joining other studios to work on projects across Bethesda. Arkane Austin has a history of making impactful and innovative games and it is a pedigree that everyone should be proud of. Redfall’s previous update will be its last as we end all development on the game. The game and its servers will remain online for players to enjoy and we will provide make-good offers to players who purchased the Hero DLC.

why would they shut down Arkane Austin after just one major flop?...didn't the Dishonored series, Prey, Deathloop etc give them some credibility points?...Arkane was also forced to make Redfall so that shouldn't be used against them

EDIT: I'm confusing Arkane Lyon with Arkane Austin...which studio made Dishonored, Prey and Deathloop?

why would they shut down Arkane Austin after just one major flop?...didn't the Dishonored series, Prey etc give them some credibility points?...Arkane was also forced to make Redfall so that shouldn't be used against them
This is only Arkane Austin's second game. While Prey was critically acclaimed by both the press and players alike, it didn't sell that well. The best numbers I can find are around 1.5 million across all platforms. For a AAA game that is considered a major flop, so they're 2 for 2 on putting out flops. I'm frankly surprised that they were given such a big budget for Redfall after the disappointing sales of Prey.

So I wonder how much of a change will happen to ESO since Roundhouse Games is being incorporated into ZeniMax?
Hopefully it's good enough for me to check out again one day.

So I wonder how much of a change will happen to ESO since Roundhouse Games is being incorporated into ZeniMax?
Hopefully it's good enough for me to check out again one day.
Nothing but more support for updates and expansion packs.

Funny how they fought off their acquisition by Bethesda as Humanhead Studios during Prey 2's development and are now not only owned by them, but sent to the ESO mines.

Serves them right. Bethesda should be next IMO though i know that won't happen. Rocksteady needs to die too for shitting out Justice League or whatever that pos is called

Serves them right. Bethesda should be next IMO though i know that won't happen. Rocksteady needs to die too for shitting out Justice League or whatever that pos is called

pretty soon the only major studios left standing will be Ubisoft and From Software ;)

It's always tough to tell how much is true or not, but the team kept saying that they were given conflicting marching orders every few weeks. One minute they were making an MMO, then a vampire-themed Dishonored, then a Fallout clone, then a Destiny looter shooter knock-off. What we got was a bad mishmash of all of those. It's why some elements were super detailed and polished while others felt thrown together in a few days. I feel for them either way. There were sections of Redfall that were honestly pretty good but they were in the last 15-20% of the game. Almost nobody played long enough to reach 'em.

It's always tough to tell how much is true or not, but the team kept saying that they were given conflicting marching orders every few weeks. One minute they were making an MMO, then a vampire-themed Dishonored, then a Fallout clone, then a Destiny looter shooter knock-off. What we got was a bad mishmash of all of those. It's why some elements were super detailed and polished while others felt thrown together in a few days. I feel for them either way. There were sections of Redfall that were honestly pretty good but they were in the last 15-20% of the game. Almost nobody played long enough to reach 'em.
Redfall is one of those games that was in development during lockdowns and they worked from home. I keep hearing about how WFH increases and improves productivity, but I think this game is a poster child of how that is absolutely not true when it comes to large collaborative projects. This is why I have no sympathy for people in the game industry crying about having to go back into the office.

Redfall is one of those games that was in development during lockdowns and they worked from home. I keep hearing about how WFH increases and improves productivity, but I think this game is a poster child of how that is absolutely not true when it comes to large collaborative projects. This is why I have no sympathy for people in the game industry crying about having to go back into the office.

I'm not in game dev, but I still find the former theory FAR more likely than this.

I've worked for a couple companies now that have built and shipped entire products 100% remote.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

I think that is not as big of an issue for this specific game. Shitty quality, a bad mix of SP/MP, unclear vision, and inability to communicate what it was supposed to be were bigger issues. Communicating what type of game you're selling is becoming a big issue, many companies can't give straight answers. Is it a multiplayer game? Is it a single player game designed to be played offline? Simple questions but many developers/publishers have difficultly answering those.

Consider the rest of the games that were produced and released under the same or similar conditions that didn't turn out like Redfall. Do those games get scrutinized under this same microscope or is it just because Redfall, an obviously mismanaged product to start, is an easy to beat dead horse that no one will argue against? This game wasn't going to be good anyway so why is it a poster child for your position?

It's funny how often WFH or woke is blamed for shit, though, when it really just boils down to Wall Street having gaming by the fucking balls. The devs and their hair color or where they work aren't the problem, it's the ceaseless demands for profit driving shit games to be produced when they clearly shouldn't be.

Out of the main three corporations that have consoles on the market Microsoft is the worst at evaluating their upcoming games library and ensuring that they're releasing a quality product to the market. Redfall should have never seen the light of day. They did more damage releasing it than canning or delaying it for another 6 to 12 months. Now they're out in public trying to explain away this turd and ultimately shutting down the studio responsible. These constant failures will probably be the end of Xbox if they don't find a way to turn things around.

Back