Recent upgrade seems sluggish

GDstew4

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently replaced my AMD 3500+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, and 4x512MB Corsair XMS with an Intel E8400, Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, and 2x1GB Corsair Dominator 1066.

I've done some tweaking in the bios, it was originally set to 8.5x266 for the E8400 and with the RAM running at DDR2 800 speeds. I now have it at 9x333 and the memory running at 1066. That has helped out a bit, the only game "benchmark" I ran on all three setups was in UT3. 3500+ minimum fps was 17, initial E8400 was 40, current is about 60.

The problem I'm having is with general usage and in particular Fallout 3. Certain programs have caused my system to hang and require a hard reset. In particular instances, I'll launch a program and see it in the process list of the task manager but it won't show on the desktop or give me any other indication that it is actually running. RegCleaner was the first program I ran into this with. If I try to run two instances of MemTest 3.8, the second will always stop responding but will continue to load half of my RAM.

The issue with Fallout 3 is simply that the launcher/autoplay hangs as the mouse pointer turns into an image of a CD. I was able to install using explorer and running setup.exe but that won't work if I try to start the game after installation.

Basically I'm just not satified that all the hardware is working as it should be or that something got messed up during the windows installation. Initially I thought it was just my bios settings that wasn't giving me the right performance, but now I think it's something else and I'm not sure where to start.

I'll take any suggestions (already tried barrell rolling to no avail :() and see what I can do when I get home from work in the morning. I'm thinking about running memtest86+ off a bootable CD and maybe reinstalling XP since I have everything backed up already.

One other thing that happened today, my MX518 and Saitek Eclipse II keyboard suddenly lost power and would not respond or turn back on until after I reset.

If you made it this far: Thanks!

Make sure your BIOS is up to date, as well as all your drivers. A reformat/reinstall may help, but if you get the same results, I'm guessing its a driver issue if memtest checks out ok.

Back