quick upgrade question

holinger

Limp Gawd
So I know technically you would have to fill out the whole form, but this is a pretty quick and simple question....
the things i have now that you need to know:
2x2gb 800 G-skill ram
2.66 ghz wolfdale core 2 duo
8800gts 320mb graphics card
Windows 7 64 bit
Corsair 650 watt
1680x1050 monitor

Basically, right now my most comfortable settings for online play of bad company 2 are half settings to medium, half settings to low... I like to play with best performance so Actually my rig probably runs medium settings just fine... but online i dont need effects to look all too great :p

Anyways, with say 150$ to spend... where is my money best put to get a higher performance machine for playing battlefield? it'd be nice if I could run between medium and high settings instead of low and medium... Can i get there with 150$ in upgrades?

Components i need:
whatever gives me best bang for the buck... if that means keep the ram, spend all money on graphics card.. thats what i want.. if it means spend some on more ram, some on new graphics card, thats what I want.

Also note, that if I were to spend it all, or nearly all on a graphics card, I could sell my 8800gts and buy some ram with that money.

I'm willing to buy off of trusted Hard members also, so that can make the 150$ budget go a little further...

hope this all makes sense.:confused:

Last edited:
What PSU do you have?
What's the max resolution of the your monitor?

psu is corsair 650 watt
currently 1680x1050 but will be updating to either 1920x1050 or 1920x1200 in the upcoming months... sorry ill add that to the op quick

Your best bet would be this GPU upgrade:
$160 - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card

$10 over your planned budget but totally worth it due to the extra performance it offers and lifetime warranty.

Your best bet would be this GPU upgrade:
$160 - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card

$10 over your planned budget but totally worth it due to the extra performance it offers and lifetime warranty.

+1, best use of your $150 (and the $10 is very much so worth it for the XFX support)

ahh nice... so i could then sell me graphics card for 40ish dollars... is buying 4 gigs more ram going to help a good amount? or is there something else i can spend it on to boost performance

ahh nice... so i could then sell me graphics card for 40ish dollars... is buying 4 gigs more ram going to help a good amount? or is there something else i can spend it on to boost performance

8GB of RAM isn't gonna help in video games. Not much else you spend on. If that CPU isn't already OC'd then try to do so.

I've always been worried it would overheat and ruine it... so maybe i'll use that extra money to buy a new heatsink :p... anyways.. i think thats probably good for this thread. thanks guys.

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ would be a good HSF for OC'ing. Core2 chips do not get very hot, so keep the OC reasonable, do your homework, and you'll be fine.

Back