PrimeGrid's 2022 Challenge Series

No idea - I don't think that I've ever run it before lol.

Its technically both but all that really means is its not worth it points wise to run CPU :p

Don't forget...this is now in 1 day and 20 hours. So, if you need to do any quick tests or tweaks you probably need to get on it. It is still really hot here so gonna play this by ear.

I'm here. This project is really only worth running GPUs on, so it is pretty boring. I do plan to run it, but it isn't worth preparing for.

Speculation: Will GPU project ranks "shuffle" due to the ETH merge? I expect they will as some miners are shutting down due to cost. It will not impact the top % as much as they DC for the sake of DC. Power bills may have a greater impact on them, tho.

Was there a reshuffle after the last mining bust?

Seems like WW sub-project will probably finish within 61 to 110 days at the rate it is going. Maybe quicker during this challenge. Link here.
If you don't have the WW badge yet, this should be relatively easy to get with any of the high end cards.
Here is a pre-challenge update on the status of the overall WW project:

The leading edge is currently 15327.169P.
This means the project is 83.09% complete.
In the last month, the project has averaged 18930 tasks per day, which means the project has about 110 more days before it will be completed at the current monthly rate.
In the last day, the project completed 33880 tasks, which means the project has about 61 more days before it will be completed at the current rate.
There is about 24.96 billion credit left to be claimed for the project.

Does WW load the GPU (3060ti and up) fully with 1 task or is 2 necessary?

I was trying to remember this but i dont lol. Cant seem to find a ww config anywhere so i prob ran 1 when i did it last... not that that proves anything

Speculation: Will GPU project ranks "shuffle" due to the ETH merge? I expect they will as some miners are shutting down due to cost. It will not impact the top % as much as they DC for the sake of DC. Power bills may have a greater impact on them, tho.

Was there a reshuffle after the last mining bust?

Well i have paused mining for now and am focusing on gpu dc again while the dust settles. Prob not a ton of people that mine and also dc but there are some for sure. I will just keep hitting goals till mining profits pick up again. Gotta help pay the bills

My 750 Ti took 4hrs 4mins to complete a single WW task. Ok time to abandon this card for this race.

With less than a day in this WW race, I'm still last... :(

1663622606646.png

The team is still in 7th place. Anyone that has anything needing stress tested should really put it to work for the team.

Final individual result. Looks Iike this time I'm tied with bm56156. I'll try to hit 1M for WW sub-project and keep that badge.

1663704405377.png

The next one is less than 2 weeks away and will be TRP (CPU only).

The next one is less than 2 weeks away and will be TRP (CPU only).
I lost a Xeon E5-2698v4. Thought it was just the MB but both MB and CPU are dead. What's a good investment in another affordable CPU cruncher? Intel or AMD? Old Xeons are relatively good value for money but getting old. I was looking at some older Epyc WS builds but idk.

I sold off most of my xeon systems and move to AMD for DC. If you are heavily in PG, the new AVX-512 instructions on the newer xeon generations after broadwell (i.e. skylake) runs PG LLR projects faster than AVX2. For other DC projects, you can't go wrong with AMD systems. If you are heavy in CPU crunching, I would go for epyc but the cost is much higher than desktop ryzen systems. In my opinion I would get at least 3950x. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: btw ryzen 7950x will implement avx-512. Not sure how this compares with intel performance. Maybe worth waiting next week for review.

Last edited:
I lost a Xeon E5-2698v4. Thought it was just the MB but both MB and CPU are dead. What's a good investment in another affordable CPU cruncher? Intel or AMD? Old Xeons are relatively good value for money but getting old. I was looking at some older Epyc WS builds but idk.
Just curious, did both die at the same time? Very rare that both died at the same time unless power transient issue.

Just curious, did both die at the same time? Very rare that both died at the same time unless power transient issue.
Not 100% sure as it was a few months ago. The CPU became flakey and would sometimes boot and load an OS before crashing and other times not even boot. Tried in 2 MB's and same behaviors. X99 mb's from Asus and MSI. The dead one is from a dell T5810.

I sold off most of my xeon systems and move to AMD for DC. If you are heavily in PG, the new AVX-512 instructions on the newer xeon generations after broadwell (i.e. skylake) runs PG LLR projects faster than AVX2. For other DC projects, you can't go wrong with AMD systems. If you are heavy in CPU crunching, I would go for epyc but the cost is much higher than desktop ryzen systems. In my opinion I would get at least 3950x. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: btw ryzen 7950x will implement avx-512. Not sure how this compares with intel performance. Maybe worth waiting next week for review.
I have a pair of 5950x's and I am curious how the 7950x will perform. Just looking at the initial cost. My total cost of the 5950x's is about what the CPU alone will run.

Used stuff with good value for money is the target.

Yeah it will be interesting. Anandtechs review has a few tests with avx 512 on the 7950x and the reults are amazing. 7600 beating 12900k in some tests

I ordered another used 5950x, MSI MB, 16GB Ram, 128GB SSD and a CPU Cooler for $500. So, add the PS and a case (or not) and it's going to be the same as a 7950x alone.

Might fill the gap left by a dead 2698V4 system.

Well, those 5950x are great for efficiency. I haven't looked yet, do review sites have results with the 7950x clocked to reasonable Eco levels, rather than the comical stock "auto overclock to the moon" AMD and Intel have adopted?

They look like a nice upgrade from a 3950x but the total platform costs is pretty high. I am going to sit on my wallet for a year or so I think.

That's awesome - this gen (7xxx and 13xxx) looks like an undervolter's dream!

See here for general undervolting and underclocking performance on 7950x resulting in lower power consumption. I'm sure for DC, this can be further optimized.

1664500294030.png

1664500308456.png

I'm going to be on the road next week. So, the next challenge will be a challenge as I'll have to set and forget the systems. Any issues, power outages, etc, and those boxes will stay down until I return.

Also, the new 5950x isn't due in until Tuesday :( so no help from it.

For the upcoming challenge, do you leave the thread/task ratio at 1:1 or is it better to increase it?

I know the overall instructions recommend it but some of these challenges see a benefit while others do not.

I don't recall for this specific project - often their advice is pretty good, and I usually prefer a small performance loss for significantly shorter runtime units. I plan to start testing this morning now that the hurricane remnant has passed me.

I can confirm these appear to be long units. I'm starting testing with 4T/unit, 1T/core, but it looks like I have a lot of testing to do this weekend :D

Initial results seem to indicate very good scaling up to higher core counts. I'll post them soon, but I'll likely be running most of my systems in the 4-10 thread range (it can vary a bit based on CPU arch) and I'll try to do a full scaling test with my 10980XE.

I have an 1190K I recently picked up on sale. Looks like the e cores are going to take all day on this one, but the p cores chew right through it. I guess I need to disable the e cores, somehow?

Back