Powerline adapter stops / Need alternative

EvilViking

I Drank All Your Beer
Hey there. I have a TP Link AV500 that stops working here and there. My pc keeps "identifying" the connection. I did the reset items and it gets it to work. BUT, I really need something trouble free. I'm away a lot and I don't have time to trouble shoot the network. I need something that's going to work always. Am I asking to much?

Here are the variables, I rent a house so I can't run cat5. I have a Asus RT n66u down stairs and the power line adapter feeds the pc up stairs. I have cable internet and cable tv. Coaxial cable throughout the house.

I would also like multiple items hooked up via a switch up stairs with the pc in question.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Have you considered wireless 802.11ac bridge? Preferably with dual radio so one can dedicate to the bridge and the other for serving clients.

You can either, run a physical cable, use wireless, Powerline networking, MoCA (uses the cable lines in the house for ethernet)

The only powerline equipment I can endorse is 3rd Gen. All of it is listed as 600Mbps.

Ideally if you are going to use homeplug (powerline) networking try to make certain that you can plugged into the same electrical phase at both ends.

Do not plug the homeplug adapter into any sort of surge protector.

Do not use homeplug adapters in circuit containing arc fault protected circuit breakers.

Would that be worth it considering I have a N router?

For a minimal setup get a second Asus RT n66u for upstairs. Create a wireless bridge between the two Asus RT n66u's and connect the upstairs PC to the upstair Asus RT n66u switch port.

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail....3A-F59E-6A44-9182-C513B58F5B89&p=11&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

Just keep in mind that in this hybrid access point/bridge mode where it simultaneously acts as an access point serving wireless clients and wireless bridge, your wireless throughput will decrease like exponentially as you add more wireless clients. Otherwise, invest in four total access points or two with dual radios to dedicate a pair of radios just for the bridge.

How do those MoCa adapters work? I have coax distro to every room in my house but no cat5/6. I'd love to be able to drop some of these around and get some of my devices off of wireless

I 'd assume they run similar to the home plug spec, only without the noise issues and filter issues caused by electrical phasing and protections.

You get 270Mbps shared to slice and dice up across everything plugged in.

I'd probably use it as a distribution transport to get reliable network connectivity between floors (two points) rather than tying all my devices into it directly. Although it will probably work fine up to 5 or 6 adapters, 3 nodes is probably where I would stop.

http://missingremote.com/legacy/img/stories/actiontec_moca_adapter/actiontec_moca.png

Back