Plagued by bad capacitors in Samsung LCD FIXED IT!

fx9

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought my Samsung 206bw 20" 1680x1050 monitor back in 2007 when circuit city was still doing business. I loved the monitor so lately I bought 2 more monitors off ebay to complete my eyefinity setup. Originally they were fine but the 3rd monitor started having some power issues.

Everytime the 3rd monitor will go to sleep, it will not wake up, no led blinking like it should, its like the monitor was not even plugged in. To fix the issue temporarily I unplugged the monitor for 10 seconds then plugged it back in, until it went back to sleep, then it would happen again.

Then it got really annoying unplugging and plugging it back in just to get my 3rd monitor back. Google says these monitors back then were plagued by bad CapXon capacitors that had bulging tops and blown to the point where they were leaking fluid. I wasn't a novice to capacitors as they were the good days in EE class in college, so I ventured forth and opened up the monitor to expose the power pcb board.

To my surprise it didn't even have bulging or blown tops on these capacitors, and they weren't even the CapXon capacitors I've heard so much about in the failure papers. They did have a brand name I've never heard of, "Sam Young" whatever those are.

I ordered some new capacitors online, Panasonic and Rubycon ones are really well made, fired up my trusty soldering iron and went to work to replace 2x 1000uF, a 680uF, and 2x 220uF capacitors on the power pcb. I put the monitor back together and BAM everything works great, its just like new :D Breathing new life back into old hardware, just the way I like it.

Here is a picture of the soldered capacitors on the rear of the power board:

P1010659.JPG

Here is a picture of my finished soldering job on top with the new soldered capacitors in place

P1010660.JPG

Picture of the crappy "Sam Young" Capacitors I desoldered from the power pcb

P1010661.JPG

Good job. I went through a RMA a few years back one of these for the same reasons.

I wonder if you get cheap caps with Samsung when you dump over a grand on one of their now discontinued 30" monitors.

Actually you get these same cheap capacitors with Samsung's old televisions. There are a lot of posts on problematic samsung tv's that need replacement capacitors.

Yeah I bought 2 22" Samsung monitors where the capacitors on the power board bulged. Looks pretty much like the same board as above. Thanks to a co-worker for the soldering work they are up and running like new with much better capacitors. I await my 40" samsung tv to do the same thing. Hopefully that wont be to painful to repair.

What's ridiculous is Samsung uses shitty caps on almost all their TVs too, from the cheap straight up to their "top of the line"

I love Samsung displays for their PQ but their QC and build is ass.

I've repaired two dell 17" and one hp 17" screens for bad caps. I would say it is happens quite a bit.

i have a 46" samsung lcd tv with bad capacitors...I have to see about getting them out here to fix them...It takes 2+ min to turn on when cold...nice self repair there

I think my ViewSonic vx2235wm have bad capacitors too, I haven't gotten a chance to check what capacitors are needed. Where did you purchase the replacement capacitors?

You can try Digikey, their website is kinda messy in an organized kind of way. But their prices are real cheap.

I got mine from a local electronics shop. Paid more, but didn't have to order it and wait for shipping. I also tried Fry's, no luck there.

I wonder if you get cheap caps with Samsung when you dump over a grand on one of their now discontinued 30" monitors.

i just got my 305t+ back, i called them up and told them i cannot find the receipt but i was at 2 years 10 months since manufacture date, they sent me a prepaid UPS label to the repair depot, got it back a week later, looks like a new or refurb but looks 100xbetter

the one i sent in, when on a white background it would flicker something awful and made it impossible to read, in games it was ok just on bright whites... assuming backlights were going..but it was very painless, no questions no hard time,,probably a common issue they know of

Fixed a Samsung 226BW with new caps about a month ago.. Costed 10$ for a kit off ebay.. GG

You can try Digikey, their website is kinda messy in an organized kind of way. But their prices are real cheap.
Or mouser or newark or jameco, unfortunately none of their websites are all that great.

The ebay kits probably aren't a bad choice if you only have one device to do due to the small order and/or delivery charges that the big electronics vendors charge.

Or mouser or newark or jameco, unfortunately none of their websites are all that great.

The ebay kits probably aren't a bad choice if you only have one device to do due to the small order and/or delivery charges that the big electronics vendors charge.

$7 to ship $.40 in parts does suck (To fix a dell screen it was that much). Ebay I guess has it's uses sometimes.

Back