Pico-ITX + Battery

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
We are engineering a portable device that calls for a very small embedded computer system. We need something to run Windows. The only problem is that the device must run on batteries, and should have at least 4 hours of runtime.

I saw this:
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/epia_p700_10
I like it because it is VERY modular, and it has Gigabit ethernet on it, but most importantly, it has a DC power supply built right onto the board, which means it will be cake to make a battery for this.

My question is: how much power will this board use, and how big of a battery will we need to get the required 4 hours of runtime?

Well, the AC adapters you can get with the board are rated at around 60 Watt. Considering that my laptop's adapter is rated for the same, I'd say that this board alone uses 20 Watt max, though you may want to check the datasheets of the CPU (1 GHz C7) and chipset (VX700) for their TDP ratings.

Running Windows would mean adding an SSD or HDD, meaning a few Watt more. What about a display? That would take a lot of power. To say what kind of battery you'd need, we'd need to know a lot more about the complete hardware picture of this device :)

Might want to wait for nVidia's ION platform to come out. Much much better performance... not sure about the power requirements though, should be pretty low though still.

We are engineering a portable device that calls for a very small embedded computer system. We need something to run Windows. The only problem is that the device must run on batteries, and should have at least 4 hours of runtime.

I saw this:
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/epia_p700_10
I like it because it is VERY modular, and it has Gigabit ethernet on it, but most importantly, it has a DC power supply built right onto the board, which means it will be cake to make a battery for this.

My question is: how much power will this board use, and how big of a battery will we need to get the required 4 hours of runtime?

what type of environment will it be used it? what kind of performance will be needed?
How much space will be provided for the batteries?

a laptop battery should be fine bearing in mind what they are built for!

Back