Performance question..

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I have an array of systems here and I have am perplexed. I'll list the systems first.

G3258 w/ 4gb
i5-760 w/ 6gb
770FX w/4gb
i5-4690k w/ 16gb
i7-4770k w/ 16gb

(I have a random laptop with an i3, but it's so slow I haven't really included it in the issue)

Ok, so here is the issue. My pentium completes tasks faster than any other system. These are all at stock, so it's running less MHz than all others.

G3258 is the fastest, the i5-760/AMD 770fx/i5-4690k are all pretty near identical and then the i7 is the slowest, by far.

This is noticeable on all tasks, but I run Wanless2 on all these systems and the pentium completes tasks in about 25 minutes. The three equals around 32 minutes and the i7 is between 50 minutes and an hour.

What could be causing this?

You are running 1 task per core for these tests? I assume so, but with the i7 being detected with 8 threads, BOINC Manager will start up 8 tasks.

Is there a chance the Ubuntu MATE iso isn't loading in the extensions for the AVX2 support?

Maybe the Ubuntu Mate is not running the processor at full speed? Maybe the OS is throttling the processor.

The i5-4690k and i7-4770k have a clock-speed advantage, so they should be faster just based on that.

Correct. The i7 is running 8 tasks. I don't know about the AVX2 thing. The processors cannot throttle. All power state functions are disabled in the BIOS on all of my systems.

As far as OS throttling, I don't know. I wouldn't suspect it though as they are all running at 100% all the time.

The OS might be bogged down doing background stuff, running interrupts for a bad driver, or a number of other things.

Is the 4770k your daily driver? If that system is the most used, it's not suprising that it would have the biggest slowdown.

If you are running 8 tasks on 4 cores, then 50 minutes / 2 = 25 minute task time if each task had full use of the core. That would put the speed right around the same time as the G3258 computer.

Try changing the Options -> Computing Preferences, to 50%. Then it'll fire up 4 tasks at once. Each task will have its own core. What completion times do you get then?

Edit: I normally limit my i7 this way and set BOINC Manager to only use 50% of the "CPUs". This opens up threads to my other applications, and to any GPU tasks I might be doing. If I run a GPU project that requires a full CPU core then I'll lower the percentage down further until BOINC drops down one cpu task.

Last edited:
I considered the fact it's running 8 tasks on 4 cores and that HT isn't what I thought it was lol..

The OS might be bogged down doing background stuff, running interrupts for a bad driver, or a number of other things.

Is the 4770k your daily driver? If that system is the most used, it's not suprising that it would have the biggest slowdown.

My daily driver is the i5-4690k. When I need it I stop the tasks and boot over to windows. That said, all the Linux installs are new between April and now, of this year. No extra drivers installed. These boxes serve the purpose of folding, so they will always be at 100% for the foreseeable future.

I guess the i7 issue is sorta solved. I figured having 8 threads would allow it to work twice the speed.. or atleast some increase in speed, otherwise what's the point of HT in the first place if it's just going to double a tasks time anyway?

Now, why's the g3258 so much faster? Lol. Weird.

The HT does give some benefit; I think the old HT marketing materials used to say something like "up to 30% improvement in some tasks types". Try running 5 tasks. The run times will be longer but you'll do more tasks per day, since you'll be constantly chipping away at a 5th task. Might not be many, but it'll probably be noticeable. The 4770k has a 9% clockspeed advantage, but the G3258 is 1 year newer than the i7-4770k. Maybe Intel tweaked something that is a benefit to the Wanless2 applications.

What is the RAM timings and speed between the G3258 and i7-4770k?

What is the number of tasks the G3258 and the 4770k did yesterday? Separate task count for each computer.

We need hard numbers to really answer your question "Now, why's the g3258 so much faster? Lol. Weird."

My strong guess is that the 4770k is completing the same if not more work than the g3258.

auntjemima :ROFLMAO:

weak.jpg

Last edited:
The HT does give some benefit; I think the old HT marketing materials used to say something like "up to 30% improvement in some tasks types". Try running 5 tasks. The run times will be longer but you'll do more tasks per day, since you'll be constantly chipping away at a 5th task. Might not be many, but it'll probably be noticeable. The 4770k has a 9% clockspeed advantage, but the G3258 is 1 year newer than the i7-4770k. Maybe Intel tweaked something that is a benefit to the Wanless2 applications.

What is the RAM timings and speed between the G3258 and i7-4770k?

What is the number of tasks the G3258 and the 4770k did yesterday? Separate task count for each computer.

We need hard numbers to really answer your question "Now, why's the g3258 so much faster? Lol. Weird."

My strong guess is that the 4770k is completing the same if not more work than the g3258.

I'll try and answer them all, I'm on mobile, so I won't be able to quote each part individually.

The i7 is running Corsair Vengeance ram at XMP timings in dual channel. The g3258 is running a single 4gb nanya chip. I would expect the i7 to have much better timings. Not home right now, so I cannot check both.

As far as tasks, I would say the i7 definitely does more per day. While they do take 50ish minutes to complete, it's completing 8 per cycle while the 2 core g3258 is completely 4 in the same period. So the i7 is effectively doubling the task output.

http://bearnol.is-a-geek.com/wanless2/hosts_user.php?sort=total_credit&rev=1&show_all=0&userid=33879
View attachment 85372
https://stats.free-dc.org/user/wep/33879
View attachment 85373

auntjemima I found your publicly viewable computer list at WEP-M+2. I don't know if these computers were on for the whole day, but id appears that the 4770k computer is doing more than twice the points of the G3258. Both the "Yesterday" total and the "2 Days" total is more than double.

The 4770k is the highest producer you have.

Makes sense overall. I think the HT thing was really throwing me off. Making me think it's 8 "cores" when not.

Even with the 4690k doing them in 35 minutes, they are still slower overall.

Makes sense overall. I think the HT thing was really throwing me off. Making me think it's 8 "cores" when not.

Even with the 4690k doing them in 35 minutes, they are still slower overall.

I think the HT is certainly helping. I'd just keep it configured as is. The 4770K is the same clocks as your i5-4690K, and the 4770k appears to be putting up higher daily point rewards with the help of the HT.

My half-educated guess: problem with HT is that FPUs are fewer; two HT share one FPU; often. While HT will be great for waiting for internet responses, IO and those kind of stuff in addition to integer math; it might not be the best to FPU intensive activities as context switches between the threads will be expensive.

My half-educated guess: problem with HT is that FPUs are fewer; two HT share one FPU; often. While HT will be great for waiting for internet responses, IO and those kind of stuff in addition to integer math; it might not be the best to FPU intensive activities as context switches between the threads will be expensive.

It definitely isn't the double I was expecting, but it is faster overall than my comparable i5-4690k. I'll just leave the HT on and enjoy the small increase.

Old days of HT many said it was more like a 30% boost. However, that may have changed with each newer generation and with different apps. Always good to do some testing. A lot of the optimized math projects do better with HT off in most cases. It just really depends on scenario.

Back