PcGamer Prey Review

The only thing I'd base whether a game is good or bad from someone else is performance, since that's objective. The actual game itself varies person to person, and I have enjoyed many games that had sub 70 scores and have not enjoyed games that are over 90. The reviewer not enjoying the game does not mean I or anyone else wouldn't.

I think that review reads very fairly and hardly spells out a disaster or "wait for the bargain basement" which I know a bunch of people will do for even the best of games anyways.

He voiced some salient criticisms that depending on difficulty settings and numerous upgrades you can do to yourself can vary.

8/10 probably leans "fair-harsh* depending on a number of subjective reasons and tastes and that's fine. I think this review has WAY more credibility vs the nonsense I'm seeing from the likes of IGN and Gamespot, in contrast.

It's ultimately up to you all but if you want Bioshock and Dishonored's love child in space with a dash of Alien Isolation and Deus Ex menus and mechanics, there's a LOT to like here.

YMMV

79/100 is ouch? Basically 8/10? Read the review. There's no ouch there. :)
This insanity has to stop. Now idiots even frown at a 8/10 score? If we continue down this rabbit hole reviewers will only use 9.1-9,9/10 in the future.

This is how the scale should be interpreted:
  1. Absolute shit, avoid at all cost
  2. Really bad game, no redeeming value at all
  3. Bad game, that some still might find interesting
  4. Worse than average, has some serious flaws, but still can get some enjoyment out of it
  5. Completely average game, it does what it advertises and nothing more.
  6. Better than average, good quality game, which shines on a few points but nothing extraordinary
  7. Good game, that's well worth playing
  8. Very good game, that's a must have
  9. Great game, that is truly awesome
  10. Ground breaking, genre defining, mindblowing.

Sadly most people don't even read reviews. They just immediately jump to the score. Also sadly this is what scores on sites like IGN and Gamespot actually mean to most people:

9 to 10 = buy
8 to 8.9 = rent or wait for a Steam sale
7.9 and below = don't bother

This has to be a troll post...79/100 is a really good score. If 50 is average, there should not be an overabundance of 80+ scored games, or else the scale would simply shift, meaning 80 is the new 50. That being said, it's a number. Read the content of the review, and pay little attention to the number.

...I really hope this was a troll post. I weep for humanity sometimes.

I am enjoying the game. It feels a lot like System Shock/Bio-Shock to me.

I figure it's because we grew up on grading system:
100-90% = A (excellent)
80-89 = B (good, but could be better)
70-79 = C (you are starting to fail, needs improvement)
0-69 = basically you are failing, expect a spanking

100-90% = A (excellent)
Our grading system was entirely different:
5* = Perfect
5 = Excellent
4 = Good
3 = Pass
2 = Marginal
1 = Fail

100-90% = A (excellent)
When I was in school our grading scale was as such:
0 - 69 = F
70 - 77 = D
78 - 84 = C
85 - 93 = B
94 - 100 = A

It was even rougher at the private university I attended:
0 - 75 = F
76 - 81 = D
82 - 88 = C
89 - 95 = B