PC Turns on randomly

psy81

Gawd
Having some issues with my older PC running Windows 7.

After I turn off the computer (for clarity I'm not putting the computer in sleep mode), my computer will randomly turn itself on.

I went into bios and put it back to default settings, turned off options pertaining to USB power and checking for updates.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

I'm starting to think its a hardware issue as my PC runs fine with the exception of random restarts.

Maybe you're getting power outs at the wall socket, and the bios is set to turn on after AC power loss?

And do you do actually power down or set it to sleep?

Maybe you're getting power outs at the wall socket, and the bios is set to turn on after AC power loss?

And do you do actually power down or set it to sleep?

I checked my bios, AC Power Back Function is set to default "soft off". I don't think its my bios. I even tried setting bios to default settings. I do have a KVM Switch connected between my old and more current PC but I don't think that would have anything to do with it as I've had this setup for years with no issues.

I'm left scratching my head. Could be a number of issues: MB, PSU, even perhaps my case, Windows...

I'll try reformatting. If that doesn't do it than it has to be a hardware issue.

so disconnect the kvm and ethernet to rule them out. disconnect anything that isn't needed.
edit: and what system are you talking about?

so disconnect the kvm and ethernet to rule them out. disconnect anything that isn't needed.

Its my AMD rig (see sig).

I've ruled out the KVM as I tried with a different KVM and even tried leaving my computer off without it connected to my KVM and it still did it. Haven't tried disconnecting the ethernet.

I will give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

is restore power after outage is soft off try "stay off", maybe see if you power switch is wearing out and see if a slight jiggle can turn it on? short in the power switch wires or even the PSU? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had this happen I think with the same motherboard you have.. In my case it was the Killer nic getting some wake on lan message. You can disable that in device manager, network adapters, killer lan, power management tab and uncheck allow this device to wake up computer. In my case I also stopped using that nic and went to the intel one. Never had the issue again.

I had this happen I think with the same motherboard you have.. In my case it was the Killer nic getting some wake on lan message. You can disable that in device manager, network adapters, killer lan, power management tab and uncheck allow this device to wake up computer. In my case I also stopped using that nic and went to the intel one. Never had the issue again.

Its actually my AMD motherboard 990FXA-UD3 which I do not think has Killer nic and again wake up on lan is disabled as per my earlier post and the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode. Its turning on after shutdown. Regardless I will try using my wireless WIFI adapter instead of LAN to see if that does the trick

Its actually my AMD motherboard 990FXA-UD3 which I do not think has Killer nic and again wake up on lan is disabled as per my earlier post and the computer isn't waking up from sleep mode. Its turning on after shutdown. Regardless I will try using my wireless WIFI adapter instead of LAN to see if that does the trick

Oh whoops, the other one in your sig. ;)

So I disconnected my Ethernet from my AMD rig and now I'm using a WiFi USB and so far so good! My computer hasn't turned itself on for 2 days. Fingers crossed!

I did notice that the activity lights on the Ethernet (now plugged into my Intel rig) continued to blink even with my computer off. Is this normal?

So I disconnected my Ethernet from my AMD rig and now I'm using a WiFi USB and so far so good! My computer hasn't turned itself on for 2 days. Fingers crossed!

I did notice that the activity lights on the Ethernet (now plugged into my Intel rig) continued to blink even with my computer off. Is this normal?
good, making progress. re the nic light; I think it should go dark if all the power stuff and wake-on stuff is disabled. my old amd system(sig) goes dark and I just turned off my roommate's z97 based system and it goes dark. maybe scour the bios again?

So 4 days have passed and the computer hasn't turned itself on. I'm comfortable concluding that the cause of the issue was due to some bug with Ethernet connection. Its odd cause I went through every setting in my bios (MB: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ SB950) and there was nothing related to wake on LAN.

I'm considering this issue closed.

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting Ethernet connection. It was driving me crazy.

Back