Optional extra steps prior to making deals

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Beyond the official rules, I'm wondering what extra steps traders are taking to make things safer.

Is there a reason to make one's email address visible in HeatWare? I thought I heard years ago about people who like to compare the address in HeatWare against the address in PayPal.

Also, I've seen at least a couple of folks in this forum advertise their enablement of two-factor authentication. Is it actually advisable to check a specific setting in the forum, HeatWare and/or PayPal and then advertise it for ostensible trustworthiness?

If the seller doesn't have a currently active presence in the forums, or the cost is particularly high, I'll usually ask for a picture of the item with the date and some special text. It's not foolproof, but does rule out stolen images being used to fake having possession.

2FA is because of the not so recent taking over of accounts from bad actors that could have been easily thwarted. Again, advertising it isn't foolproof, but it's a way of saying you take your account security seriously.

Presence in the forum is key and active heatware feedback as well. Can also ask for a cell phone to text as well. I am super transparent in my sales, if you want to video call, I'm down with that.

do whatever you need/want to to make yourself feel better. if they dont play ball, dont buy. BUT forum activity here can be a clue too, if the person hasnt been online for years and then suddenly is selling a bunch of stuff.... and if i was buy/sell/trading on here, it wouldnt be from one of the numerous "personal store front" accounts. f those guys....

If the seller doesn't have a currently active presence in the forums, or the cost is particularly high, I'll usually ask for a picture of the item with the date and some special text. It's not foolproof, but does rule out stolen images being used to fake having possession.

2FA is because of the not so recent taking over of accounts from bad actors that could have been easily thwarted. Again, advertising it isn't foolproof, but it's a way of saying you take your account security seriously.
Had 2FA enabled and then disabled it because it annoyed me for some reason, forgot what it was. I think it was a combination of no ability to remember devices and login time limit.

I use Bitwarden for all my accounts now so it should be secure.

Agreed with above though, the safest sellers will be the ones that are actively posting on other topics in the forums, at least a few times a week.

Back