OLED iPad Pro..

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
When is Apple going to put an OLED screen in the iPad Pro? I’ve got a Pro 10.5 and going between the new iP XS and iPad Pro screens really shows just how bad the backlight is for night time close up viewing on the newest iPad. Thing is, they’d have to figure out how to keep the 120hz Smooth Motion with an OLED screen. Oh, and an OLED iPad Pro it can’t cost $2,000 or burn-in either...
OLED won’t happen on the upcoming iPad release, but think it happen in 2019?

I believe OLED screens are still too expensive for them to implement a 10+ inch screen into an iPad at a reasonable price . It'd be nice to see but I think the cost of such a display is the prohibiting factor there right now, if the cost of the X/XR/XS/XS Max iPhones are anything to go by.

When is Apple going to put an OLED screen in the iPad Pro? I’ve got a Pro 10.5 and going between the new iP XS and iPad Pro screens really shows just how bad the backlight is for night time close up viewing on the newest iPad. Thing is, they’d have to figure out how to keep the 120hz Smooth Motion with an OLED screen. Oh, and an OLED iPad Pro it can’t cost $2,000 or burn-in either...
OLED won’t happen on the upcoming iPad release, but think it happen in 2019?

10 inch OLED with that density would be 3000

I much prefer the high end LCD look on iphones to their OLED. I'm more interested in the XR because of this.

I feel like you answered your own question right after you asked it.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I feel like you answered your own question right after you asked it.
An OLED iPas is / has been a pretty hot discussion. Lots of people are wondering the same and believe Apple will release one.
It’s a genuine question I was hoping people would have some more info about.

An OLED iPas is / has been a pretty hot discussion. Lots of people are wondering the same and believe Apple will release one.
It’s a genuine question I was hoping people would have some more info about.

Hot discussion where? the rumor sites or is there a credible leak that points to Apple commiting to large screen OLED panels? They are about to release new iPads and if its not revealed there then no one knows about it. The most anyone can talk about OLED panels for the iPad is the benefits of having one on a device that large. To my knowledge, the pen technology they use on the iPad is designed to work with LCD, I don't know what they'd have to do to get it to work with OLED.

Better color reproduction, lack of burn in, lower power requirements. I like the side viewing angles of OLED and that's about it.
Have there been any reports of burn-in on the X iPhones? From what I can tell it’s a non-issue, unlike OLED TVs.

Have there been any reports of burn-in on the X iPhones? From what I can tell it’s a non-issue, unlike OLED TVs.

It has only been a year. My current phone is 3 years old and will be 4 years old when I replace it, I'd like to know that one won't have burn in even at 4 years.

Also other phones that use OLED do experience burn in OR color shift. Color shift isn't exclusive to OLED but it is a persistent issue with some brands (I think the ones using LG panels). I don't think OLED is anything special and not worth the risks when compared to how well LCD actually looks.

I have a feeling that Apple chose to go OLED to market something they didn't need to. Jobs before said he didn't see a need to move on from LCD and I think they are now using it as an attempt to get people to upgrade. I don't think the X needed it, they just wanted something fancy for the anniversary model and now we are getting a lower priced phone with LCD, I think it'll be telling to see how well that lower resolution LCD model does over all. We won't find out for another 6 months though.

I'll pick the LCD over the OLED, I hope they increase the resolution back up to 1080p/comparable with the notchwhatever.

I’d take a high dpi OLED over the Pro’s LCD. The dark room reading/viewing of the XS is really something wonderful.
I view my iPad up close, in darker settings a lot and a high dpi OLED screen would be fantastic.

To my knowledge, the pen technology they use on the iPad is designed to work with LCD, I don't know what they'd have to do to get it to work with OLED.
From my understanding (and also those on the Tablet PC Review forums, since they're the experts on all things pen digitizers over there), the iPad Pro's Pencil relies solely on the capacitive digitizer layer, similar to N-trig DuoSense (now the basis for the Surface Pen implementation since the Pro 3 onward).

This would make the LCD/OLED choice irrelevant, as all they need to do is slap on a sufficiently high-resolution digitizer on top of whatever panel they feel like. I'm actually hoping that a switch to OLED would negate the usual distortion you get from LCDs when under pressure from a bonded digitizer, as Apple tends to do with higher-end iPads (and stopped doing on the latest mainstream model, to the consternation of many).

Whichever route they take, though, Pencil performance is key. It's the only reason I even considered any sort of iPad recently, because not having a proper active pen is like having a notebook without a pencil.

That said, my biggest concern with the next-gen iPad Pro, going by current leaks, isn't what kind of screen it'll have, but whether they'll drop the headphone jack on something large enough for the size constraints to not be an excuse. That alone would push me toward a current-gen model at reduced prices.

When making a custom panel (to Apple's resolution and size specifications) that's 120Hz, and won't cost the end user $2000.

Back