Oh how I want my unlocked multi 45nm precious

Just make sure some hobbits don't try and throw it into a volcano :p

That be a mighty nice proc... But you can get 2 q6600's with money to spare.

I remember reading those old sexy paperback novels worded a lot like that. I mean I love my “D” but really…………..;)

Q9450 @ 3300, dual smp's (2653 I think) 11 min. per frame.
Q6600 B3 @ 2800, dual smp's (2653) 15 min. per frame.

Q9450 @ 3300, dual smp's (2653 I think) 11 min. per frame.
Q6600 B3 @ 2800, dual smp's (2653) 15 min. per frame.

That Q6600 should have more head room with proper cooling.

In any case there is a difference. Unless it is a main rig, not worth it for folding. (unless you have crazy power requirements.)

Honestly, the overclocking headroom of both cpu is about the same. The Q9450 might be cooler to run, have SSE 4.1 and 12 MB of cache but the limit is the FSB due to the lowly 8x multiplier so you must spend more on better motherboard and ram just to get to 3.6 - 4.0 GHz. I bought one this morning for my main pc but my components is ready for that and for the folding boxes, I will only consider the Q6600 unless I can get the 45nm quad for under 100$...

I will do the test with both at the same speed (3.2 GHz, 8x400 which is doable for both) so we can look at how much improvement the more efficient architecture and extra cache will bring.

Still has stock HS. Running about 70C
Might change HS this weekend if time permits.

Honestly, the overclocking headroom of both cpu is about the same. The Q9450 might be cooler to run, have SSE 4.1 and 12 MB of cache but the limit is the FSB due to the lowly 8x multiplier so you must spend more on better motherboard and ram just to get to 3.6 - 4.0 GHz. I bought one this morning for my main pc but my components is ready for that and for the folding boxes, I will only consider the Q6600 unless I can get the 45nm quad for under 100$...

I will do the test with both at the same speed (3.2 GHz, 8x400 which is doable for both) so we can look at how much improvement the more efficient architecture and extra cache will bring.

I can probably through my results in for reference as well. I just ordered a X3350 from newegg to drop into my IP35 Pro.

I utlimately chose to go 45nm for 2 reasons really. Most importantly I'm not sure I could get the max out of a Q6600 because my WC is only a dual 120 rad and it's got a 8800GT in the loop as well. So having a cooler running chip *should* help keep temps and noise down. 2nd, I told the wife that I was waiting for them to come out in the spring, i'd buy one, and wouldn't buy anything else for the pc until at least next year. Sadly she will hold me to it. :( But seriously this pc should keep me going until this time next year, i hope.

Yeah I gave up on getting a Q9450. I have been waiting for an entire Month from Buy.com and just cancelled my order. With Water cooling I decided I'd just get 2 more Q6600's and build 1 new box and put the better of the two processors into my water cooled setup and let her rip! Was tired of waiting. Oh and Axdrenalin, Your threat list is about to gain 1 person! :) I hope! hehehehe

Oh and Axdrenalin, Your threat list is about to gain 1 person! :) I hope! hehehehe
If you appear on his threat list then you'll be the only one. He's on the top of mine...

/me look at the budget and ponder if he can nudge 1-2 extra Q6600 in the farm...

Seriously, those who have 5 Q6600 or more are awesome !!! I'm really torn between my wallet and my balls !

/me look at the budget and ponder if he can nudge 1-2 extra Q6600 in the farm...

Seriously, those who have 5 Q6600 or more are awesome !!! I'm really torn between my wallet and my balls !

Yep..... thus the reason I have E2160's in my farm. They will be replaced..... When I've gotten enough wiffy points to cash in ;)

hehehe I'll be up to 7 quads :) 7x4200 = 29400PPD Not including the PS3 and the P4.

I'm obviously single. No wife faction to grind before getting new "D"

hehehe I'll be up to 7 quads :) 7x4200 = 29400PPD Not including the PS3 and the P4.

I'm obviously single. No wife faction to grind before getting new "D"

I'm also single with a big amount of money on my hands shortly but I have the devil on a shoulder and the angel on another so I'm really torn... Right now, I'm already preparing 4 boxes with the HTPC box coming in may but adding 1-2 more is hard to justify honestly, especially when you are perched high in ranks already and have a work farm as well (5000-10000 ppd from work).

Back