Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems Amazon had some stock of an Asus flavored 3070 up for a scant 2 minutes
1616702340870.png

Wasn't even that long. You couldn't check out or anything - bots got 'em. It was just glitches looking like availability. Amazon is a no-go-zone for people with flesh.
This. The 3060 Ti and 3070 on Amazon were both address errors, which is normal for Amazon.
Amazon, like Newegg is so heavily botted, it's tough to score a card from either of them the "regular" way.

View attachment 342207
no way those lasted two minutes. I've been monitoring discord all day like a hovering hawk. Clicking things the second they pop. I have multiple stock checker discord trackers and several are alerting. It's true Amazon's been going off regularly most of the afternoon on 3060TI, 3070, and 3090, (MSI and ASUS Tuf) but they are out of stock so fast it's impossible without bots to get the cards. I've clicked on all of them, almost the moment they pop. I've seen the one click buy option on two. (the others popped up as already unavailable). In both cases, it was sold out before the one click buy option could even process on my amazon account. You need a bot to buy from amazon.

two minutes is a joke. 1 second -- MAYBE.

no way those lasted two minutes. I've been monitoring discord all day like a hovering hawk. Clicking things the second they pop. I have multiple stock checker discord trackers and several are alerting. It's true Amazon's been going off regularly most of the afternoon on 3060TI, 3070, and 3090, (MSI and ASUS Tuf) but they are out of stock so fast it's impossible without bots to get the cards. I've clicked on all of them, almost the moment they pop. I've seen the one click buy option on two. (the others popped up as already unavailable). In both cases, it was sold out before the one click buy option could even process on my amazon account. You need a bot to buy from amazon.

two minutes is a joke. 1 second -- MAYBE.

Yah, amazon...forget about it unless you run that Stellar bot or another thats scooping everything up. Been trying just like you, manually the moment it pops up and its gone.

Yep. Nowinstock is oblivious. There's a lag between amazon's backend that maintains the physical inventory counts, and the front-end UI (product page) that will continue to display the "Add To Cart" button for 1-2 minutes after physical inventory is depleted.

A friend of mine who was able to use a bot to purchase ONE graphics card (a 3080) a while back for himself went back on to check to see if his bot would still work on Amazon. Apparently Amazon's captcha/anti-bot measures have grown in sophistication to the point that at least this particular bot can no longer purchase a GPU on Amazon, despite adding it to cart and having ability to "autobuy" with your selected form of currency. He told me that upon further research, a sophisticated enough bot to be able to get through the captchas now will cost a good $50 a month, and you never know how many months it will take for your specific monitored SKUs to get a restock.

Crazy times.

View attachment 342207
Yeah, saw some 3060tis too, got one in the cart too, but just couldn't pull the trigger at $540. Also it was technically a preorder as the estimated delivery date was May 1

The reality is I should have, probably could have gotten anywhere from $150 to $200 for my gtx970 if eBay prices are to be trusted, then it would have made it a decent enough deal.

Last edited:
Yeah, saw some 3060tis too, got one in the cart too, but just couldn't pull the trigger at $540. Also it was technically a preorder as the estimated delivery date was May 1

That's actually a pretty good price. In fact it probably wasn't a TI at all but a 3060-12 GB That's how good of a price it was relatively speaking. ASUS and MSI scalp their own cards. An ASUS card is probably $600 for a TI.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, it's one of those things, in acting fast I actually over thought and didn't want it at all, reminds me of the Zotac 3060ti I could have gotten for $480 back in the day but oh no I'm not paying $80 over MSRP for a Zotac card... that was just about my "should have bought Yahoo stock..." moment :D

But that particular card actually stayed on Amazon for 2 minutes, I was refreshing the page for shits and giggles.

Yeah, it's one of those things, in acting fast I actually over thought and didn't want it at all, reminds me of the Zotac 3060ti I could have gotten for $480 back in the day but oh no I'm not paying $80 over MSRP for a Zotac card... that was just about my "should have bought Yahoo stock..." moment :D

But that particular card actually stayed on Amazon for 2 minutes, I was refreshing the page for shits and giggles.

I said the same thing to a buddy of mine. He bought a $830 3080 from Zotac direct, and I told him to cancel it because it was $130 over MSRP. I don't think he listened to me. Good for him.

Ebay is insane. Average bid price for regular 3090's is in the lower 2000's atm. Cheapest Kingpin 3090 bid is about $3200 or so. Haven't seen any real drops on NowinStock so far, Although i haven't been checking it too much lately. At least the PS5 prices seem to be finally coming down from the Stratosphere. (They're only excessive now rather than monstrously high)

Ebay is insane. Average bid price for regular 3090's is in the lower 2000's atm. Cheapest Kingpin 3090 bid is about $3200 or so. Haven't seen any real drops on NowinStock so far, Although i haven't been checking it too much lately. At least the PS5 prices seem to be finally coming down from the Stratosphere. (They're only excessive now rather than monstrously high)
I stopped trusting now-in-stock a LONG time ago. The bots are significantly faster than now-in-stock.

You know, I know humans are annoyed with the delayed checkout process that's part of Best Buy's bot-prevention practice, but it is a lot better than Amazon's. Amazon has updated their captchas to make them more complex than simpler bots (free ones, older ones), but they still don't have any kind of random delay like Best Buy's site. The random delay at least gives real humans a bit more time to try to get one. With Amazon, within seconds of restocking they are all gone. It is rare for a human AND their internet to be THAT FAST. Unless they're simply restocking only one or two at a time, which is possible.

I think the complex paid bots are getting them anywhere that doesn't have substantial anti-bot practices. My opinion is that they should only sell them in person, over chat, or by phone, but of course retailers likely don't make anywhere near enough margin on these cards to employ that kind of manpower.

Still, it would be amazing if a retailer took a stand. Most people don't live close to a microcenter. Phone orders would give humans a fighting chance.

I live in f\Florida and the closest Microcenter is in Georgia. I'd go a little ways for a good deal, but but NOT that far. :whistle:

As for the stock tracker i mainly use it to see the comments, which usually are a lot faster to notify people when something's in stock.

Last edited:
With NowInStock, I totally ignore the actual stock alerts but pay careful attention to the chat. I managed to get 3 different PS5's and a launch 3090 just by following the chat.
People are surprisingly helpful, especially since it's mostly anonymous.

With NowInStock, I totally ignore the actual stock alerts but pay careful attention to the chat. I managed to get 3 different PS5's and a launch 3090 just by following the chat.
People are surprisingly helpful, especially since it's mostly anonymous.
I must be on the wrong server. Can you drop a link?

I realize this is the lower power 3070 variant, but it does turbo up to 100w, and it comes with a 5900HS. Great laptop with a 2k screen, good battery life, and even USB C charging. $1800 is a solid price, and if it's your birthday and you're a reward zone member you can get 10% off. I ordered one. It's a very well-rounded and well-reviewed laptop. 8GB of the RAM is sadly soldered, but there is a second m.2 slot free. Reasonably lightweight and compact, too. No webcam. Asus don't got time fo dat.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...pse-grey-eclipse-grey/6448848.p?skuId=6448848

Well, too late now. Laptop sold out! Wow. That was fast. Not as fast as GPUs, but still...

That laptop looks exactly how I would imagine a gaming macbook would look like.

I realize this is the lower power 3070 variant, but it does turbo up to 100w, and it comes with a 5900HS. Great laptop with a 2k screen, good battery life, and even USB C charging. $1800 is a solid price, and if it's your birthday and you're a reward zone member you can get 10% off. I ordered one. It's a very well-rounded and well-reviewed laptop. 8GB of the RAM is sadly soldered, but there is a second m.2 slot free. Reasonably lightweight and compact, too. No webcam. Asus don't got time fo dat.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...pse-grey-eclipse-grey/6448848.p?skuId=6448848
Miners are also buying up 3070 based laptops because the vBIOS of mobile variants have a special but not widely known ability to voltage-curve below what the desktop variants can do, so they'll actually mine with an 8% higher hashrate than a desktop 3070, and they'll do it at only like 106 watts instead of 130 watts. As awareness of this spreads, laptop pricing rises. 3060 Ti is presumably same.

1616789056597.png
1616789222249.png

1616789194318.png
1616789207513.png

Last edited:
Miners are also buying 3070 based laptops up because the mobile variant 3070's have a special but not widely known ability to voltage-curve below what the desktop variants can do, so they'll actually mine with an 8% higher hashrate than a desktop 3070, and they'll do it at only like 106 watts instead of 130 watts. I've seen photos of roomfuls of laptop 3070's setup.
Yeah, that's great, but you're spending $1800 on one 3070 GPU, essentially. You're ROI is at least double.

But on the flip side, you can use it as a laptop, and you get a legit powerful CPU with it too. I suppose it's kind of like buying a pre-built desktop with a 3070. In that light, it's not a bad deal. But on a desktop you can have several 3070s mining instead of just one (or two, if you have thunderbolt, which this laptop does not, although you can potentially hook up an external GPU dock with the 2nd m.2 slot.)

Yeah, that's great, but you're spending $1800 on one 3070 GPU, essentially. You're ROI is at least double.

But on the flip side, you can use it as a laptop, and you get a legit powerful CPU with it too. I suppose it's kind of like buying a pre-built desktop with a 3070. In that light, it's not a bad deal. But on a desktop you can have several 3070s mining instead of just one (or two, if you have thunderbolt, which this laptop does not, although you can potentially hook up an external GPU dock with the 2nd m.2 slot.)
True dat, but then there's also a common misconception about "ROI" that whisks past a lot of people. By "ROI" what people are really thinking of is breakeven. The reality is a GPU doesn't have to breakeven, it only has to beat depreciation. A GPU doesn't get thrown in the trash once mining is no longer more profitable than electricity.

So really, ROI = (-original cost of GPU) + mining profits after electricity + (eventual resale of GPU - depreciation)

This formula is why $2000 laptops will continue being hoovered up to make $4-6/day, and 3090's are going for $2500-$3000 and ever higher just to make $10-$12/day

Last edited:
True dat, but then there's also a common misconception about "ROI" that whisks past a lot of people. By "ROI" what people are really thinking of is breakeven. The reality is a GPU doesn't have to breakeven, it only has to beat depreciation. Why, because a GPU doesn't get thrown in the trash once mining is no longer more profitable than electricity.

So really, ROI = (-original cost of GPU) + mining profits after electricity + (eventual resale of GPU - depreciation)

This formula is why $2000 laptops will continue being hoovered up to make $4-6/day, and 3090's are going for $2500-$3000 and ever higher just to make $10-$12/day
People forgot that they have to pay tax on mining too. That cut ROI down even further.

I have this. Great laptop! Just gotta make sure it’s perfect the first week or so of ownership. It’s know for some QC issues.

True dat, but then there's also a common misconception about "ROI" that whisks past a lot of people. By "ROI" what people are really thinking of is breakeven. The reality is a GPU doesn't have to breakeven, it only has to beat depreciation. A GPU doesn't get thrown in the trash once mining is no longer more profitable than electricity.

100% agreed. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least considering mining with mine, although mining with a laptop does scare me a wee bit.

On a side note, I received another expected non-selection email from Newegg. They actually had some cards and a motherboard I was interested in this time. Too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back