OEM RX 550 overclock?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell low profile Rx 550 4gb in my htpc. Trying to get a little more out of it. Any of the game benchmarks on YouTube have 550s running 1400mhz which is +200 on this card. Afterburner is unlocked but when I click apply overclock it reverts. Or are new builds of AB glitchy to this older card. Doesn’t look like watt man is supported on this card

Running heaven. It cools to 74* and hovers the clock around 1150-1170

nope, isnt going to work. its power limited and neutered to run in SFFs.

I thought so. It runs stuff fine. I was just going to see if I could get a little more out of it. Custom fan profile works so it at least stays cool

I glanced at the bios file and sure enough. 32w tdp with 0 overclock ability. I could probably play with the bios but that cooler isn’t very good.

Got up this morning feeling daring. Opened the bios, changed some things. Flashed and bricked it. I recovered it using the original bios and the igpu. I may play more later just bumping the clock speed a little. But I’ll think about it ahead of time

If I re attempted a bios mod. Would simply changing the boost clock a little higher from 1219 to like 1300 and possibly bump the memory clock up a little work?

The bios I used, I had a slight bit of overclock enabled, and i slightly changed the TDP to match a similar cards bios that had overclocking enabled, as well as turned it up to 1375. It bricked and atiflash identified the card as a random Polaris card when I flashed the original bios back. So somewhere along the line, PBE borked the bios. I read a report of someone modifying one of these successfully but the bios file they shared isn’t there anymore

I successfully got it running at 1375 mhz. I changed only the one value. Temps are good. I may do another stab bumping the memory a little since it only runs at 1500 which is much lower than any other RX550

Now I’m getting 40 fps on average in GTA 5 and some benchmarks came up quite a bit

I did some more little tweaks. Ended up, it rarely hit 1375mhz. I backed it off to 1250 but put the ram to 1700mhz. Now it’s stable, cool. Also gta 5 now runs about 45 fps. I did some stability testing with 3D mark and it passes. This is basically the settings of a stock non gimped RX550 so it’s nothing that’s going to burn it up. It’s technically 31mhz overclock. The XFX RX 550 low profile is a very similar card and is basically an unlocked version.If I recall. Many of these Dell cards are/were manufactured by XFX

well, then "not without bios modding" seems to be the correct answer... i stand corrected.
yeah xfx is a common oem supplier.

well, then "not without bios modding" seems to be the correct answer... i stand corrected.
yeah xfx is a common oem supplier.
Well yeah. These Dell RX 550s are locked and gimped further than a run of the mill RX550 but there is little mention of it anywhere except when you confirmed my suspicions..l simply un gimped it a little. I would dare try the XFX bios but I can’t find it. For the $40 that I paid for it. I think I got the performance I needed.

I forgot to update. I did another bios the other day. I kept everything the same except I bumped the clock to 1375 and the TDP to 35w. Max temps average 78* now with my 100% over 50* fan profile ( it’s not loud ). In stock configuration it would run 80*

It never hits 1375, since 35w can’t get the chip there (53% asic quality) but it hits 1250 easily and made stability tests go up to 99%.. when I get home I’m going to back it off to 1250 core clock and then finally call it good. I may write in my fan profile to bios in case i forget to fire up afterburner

This card is so satisfying. Every game I throw at it, it has the ability to run smoothly. I’m not going to see what RDR 2 or cyberpunk will do, but that’s because I know it would be beyond its capabilities. I was going to mess with a couple older 7750 based cards but actually gaming is more fun.. GTA 4 is a solid 60 fps pretty much maxed out. Saints row 3 gets around 50 fps nearly maxed out. I loaded up Overload just to see what it will do and it will run about 45-55 frames at a reduced resolution. Plenty playable. For a SFF gaming pc, I bet one of these could be assembled for $100 or less. I’m sure a 4th gen processor would run just as well, even 3rd gen.. as a side note. 3rd and 4th gen Dell SFF allow dual slot cards due to the slot configuration, which opens up possibilities. Not sure why Dell flopped the slots

Back