oddest problem I have encountered.

ok for the past few months i have tried to get 9 hd's to co-exist in my main rig and it has been nothing but problems. i have an asus a8n-e and i started off with 4 500gig samsung drives on the sata ports and one 500gig maxtor on the primary ide channel. a month later i bought 4 more 500gig ide hd's. two more maxtors and two hitachis. i have been trying to use a promise ultra133 tx2 to connect the 4 idea hd's. if it had worked from the start i would have had 4 500gig hd's on the sata ports, 4 500gig hd's on the promise card and 1 500gig hd on the mb's main ide port. now on to my nightmare:

if i plug in more than 5 or 6 hd's the system will stop after the promise card detects the hd's. for example:

4 sata drives plus 1 on the mobo ide port and it boots fine
4 sata drives plus 2 on the mobo ide port and it boots fine
4 sata drives plus 1 on the mobo ide port and 1 on the promise card and it boots fine
4 sata drives plus 1 on the mobo ide port and 2 or more on the promise card and it stops
0 sata drives plus 1 on the mobo plus 4 on the promise card and it boots fine

i am starting to think that the mobo is just buggy. i have my second rig with 16 smaller drives and i have never had a problem in 3 years. *hugs IS7*

so what say ye? buggy mobo?

Its worth eliminating power from the equation.
Try plugging the new hard drives onto a different PSU, any old PSU should do.

To power it up, connect green to black on the big motherboard connector.

Its worth eliminating power from the equation.
Try plugging the new hard drives onto a different PSU, any old PSU should do.

To power it up, connect green to black on the big motherboard connector.

power is not an issue;)

i have already tried two pc p&c 510 deluxe psu's. the reason why i suspect the mobo is because when i first got it i tried installing xp on a sata drive and it would give me errors during the install but all of my sata drives work fine so long as i do not try to install an OS on them using this mobo.

Not pretty.
Have you got the latest motherboard BIOS?
I dont know if you can update the BIOS on the RAID controller but thats worth checking too.

Not pretty.
Have you got the latest motherboard BIOS?
I dont know if you can update the BIOS on the RAID controller but thats worth checking too.

did that years ago....sadly no newer bios are out for my mobo or ide cards.:(

If you can get all 9 drives with the controller to work in another PC, I'd say you're right, the motherboard is the most likely suspect.

Check the temps of the RAID cards processor, motherboard chipset and motherboards hard drive controller chips.

If the temps are ok then just for kicks try different ram or boost the ram voltage a tiny bit, maybe do the same for the motherboard chipset.
Gotta be worth a go :)

well, i figured since my file server is down for cleaning i thought i borrow one of it's highpoint raid cards to see if it was the ide card and not the mobo. sure enough.....it booted up fine with all 9 hd's. :mad:

damn you promise!!!

anyway, i will now have to get on newegg and have that same raid card over nighted :(

i am glad it was not the mobo since i really like it:D

thanks for the help Nenu.

Back