Odd computer problem - sometimes doesn't fully boot, won't play certain video formats

Daggah

2[H]4U
I'm not really sure where to put this, actually...but I guess I'll try here to start off with.

My specs are also in my sig, but I'll list them for convenience:

(Legitimate) Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard
Intel Q6600 CPU
4 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon 4870 video card

On Sunday, my main gaming computer developed a really odd problem. The first system I noticed is that the computer occasionally won't fully boot - it'll go into a blank black screen right after the "Windows is Starting" screen. Keyboard LEDs (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock) won't illuminate, which is my general "yep it's frozen" test usually. If I hard reboot, sometimes it repeats, but usually it comes back up.

The other symptom...and I'm not sure if it's related, or not, but it started happening around the same time...is really rather weird. I've lost the ability to play certain video formats that mostly center around Mpeg videos and DVDs. I don't get an error message...the video just won't play. I can hear sound, but no picture, just black. The problem occurs in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center.

Actually, it's really odd...in DVDs, I get no picture, but if I turn subtitles on, I can see those.

I have tried:

Uninstalling video codecs (yes, I use codec packs, yes I know they're trouble, but in general I've never had a problem with them.)

Trying different codec packs. (K-Lite, CCCP, Sharky007's)

Uninstalling and reinstalling Catalyst drivers.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Media Player.

I'm at a complete loss here.

Uninstalling and reinstalling

Windows Media Player Classic Homecinema works, but I really don't like the old school interface.

Wow, don't everyone rush to help all at once...

Anyway...I reinstalled Windows...still having the problem. WTF? I'm starting to wonder if my video card is just crapping out on me...

I will try a second video card when my new 5850 gets here. I really think it's my video card. I've also noticed some slowdown when playing flash video fullscreen. I think my video card's hardware video acceleration is broken. I installed the demo for powerdvd, and it will play mpegs and dvds if hardware acceleration is off, but not if I turn it on.

Maybe it was...the same night I ordered my new 5850, I got home and reinstalled the 10.2 drivers, and the problem went away.

I would be pissed at spending money to replace a card that's apparently still good, but screw it...I just got my re-enlistment bonus...an upgrade would be nice anyway.

Back