NVIDIA to Only Launch the Flagship GeForce RTX 5090 in 2024, Rest of the Series in 2025

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Even a launch limited to the flagship RTX 5090 would give us a fair idea of the new "Blackwell" architecture, its various new features, and how the other SKUs in the lineup could perform at their relative price-points, because the launch could at least include a technical overview of the architecture. NVIDIA "Blackwell" is expected to introduce another generational performance leap over the current lineup. The reasons NVIDIA is going with a more conservative launch of GeForce "Blackwell" could be to allow the market to digest inventories of the current RTX 40-series; and to accord higher priority to AI GPUs based on the architecture, which fetch the company much higher margins."

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/322139/...e-rtx-5090-in-2024-rest-of-the-series-in-2025

On one hand, I think that is pretty obvious given how they release these cards now. On the other hand...
1715006577336.png

The market seems more aware of this than ever before. Maybe it's because the AI hype has trickled down more than another other previous hype train (i.e. crypto).

Anectdotally, I have been looking for a cheap 4090 (yeah, sold mine...now missing that 6th gear) and the market is pretty full of 4090s which makes it awesome for a buyer like me. Brand new, sealed 4090 FEs wtihin 40 miles of my house on Facebook Marketplace for $1600 cash or $1625 cash. That's about $100 under retail when you consider tax.

The other thing that is interesting - if you look at Steam stats - the 4090 is more popular than one would think as a halo card. NVIDIA successfully poisoned the 4080 at $1200 to push people to the halo card.

The time to sell 4090s for max profit has passed, it seems.

The market seems more aware of this than ever before. Maybe it's because the AI hype has trickled down more than another other previous hype train (i.e. crypto).

Anectdotally, I have been looking for a cheap 4090 (yeah, sold mine...now missing that 6th gear) and the market is pretty full of 4090s which makes it awesome for a buyer like me. Brand new, sealed 4090 FEs wtihin 40 miles of my house on Facebook Marketplace for $1600 cash or $1625 cash. That's about $100 under retail when you consider tax.

The other thing that is interesting - if you look at Steam stats - the 4090 is more popular than one would think as a halo card. NVIDIA successfully poisoned the 4080 at $1200 to push people to the halo card.

Yeah plus nvidia really undercut the AIBs this gen and perhaps will continue to going forward.

Careful though, still lots of those naked 4090 boards floating around. The ones that the Chinese AIB’s stripped the GPU and VRAM off of to make workstation boards.

Yeah PayPal payment funded by my AMEX will do. :)
I’m holding out for the 5080, maybe the 5070. Pair it up with something midrange of that gen on the CPU side.

Just looking for a 15% uplift over my 3080Ti 5800x3d pairing.

I mean lets be honest. He has been pretty spot on with his leaks. Like him or not, cant really argue that point.
No, not really. His "leaks" are just making youtube videos about things actual leakers post on twitter. He was just recently duped by them (who think he's a joke) and he made a video with a fake slide, it was pretty hilarious to watch unfold.

Either MLID reports first on rumors or he legit has some insiders. I don’t know which. I’d say it’s interesting to hear the info, but I’ve watched him for years and believe his content no more than any other rumor mill site out there. He’s right sometimes, other times he is way off on left field.

Either MLID reports first on rumors or he legit has some insiders. I don’t know which. I’d say it’s interesting to hear the info, but I’ve watched him for years and believe his content no more than any other rumor mill site out there. He’s right sometimes, other times he is way off on left field.
yeah he isn't 100%. But, I will say some of his rumors have been spot on when no one else has that info. So, he really does have some inside sources thats for sure.

yeah he isn't 100%. But, I will say some of his rumors have been spot on when no one else has that info. So, he really does have some inside sources thats for sure.
It’s hard to say for me. He publishes fast yes. But considering the time it takes to make a video and upload it, some people beat him to the punch on x. Again he may very well hav insider but because of how he particularly releases info, it’s hard to tell time wise. I guess in the tech tube sphere you really don’t know in general who gets what first.

No, not really. His "leaks" are just making youtube videos about things actual leakers post on twitter. He was just recently duped by them (who think he's a joke) and he made a video with a fake slide, it was pretty hilarious to watch unfold.
That a bit of a contradiction, giving this an example of him getting an email for his leak video, it was a bit of work making quite convincing photoshop to get him.

I can imagine actual insiders manipulating those channel and use them, with low level people being just fan of online discourse (when the source is an bestbuy employee talking about how much cards sell or not for example, that easy to believe).

If they release the 5090 only because they are forced to have some L40/RTX 6000 replacement released which would lock the 5090 design and remove any trade secret about it anyway, I guess that would make sense, but I am not sure if it is something Nvidia themselve would have decided at this point in time.

Last edited:
so how many months are we talking from the 5090 to 5080 release?...I don't mind 1 month but if it's 3+ months it's a bad move

I’m holding out for the 5080, maybe the 5070. Pair it up with something midrange of that gen on the CPU side.

Just looking for a 15% uplift over my 3080Ti 5800x3d pairing.

Considering a 4080S is 25-40% ahead of a 3080ti depending on the game, you should get a huge boost moving to the 50 series.

I just hope they abandon the whole air cooling idea already. I don't want a 4 slot air cooling solution and have to buy a third party kickstand if you don't want damage the card, slot or MB.

I just hope they abandon the whole air cooling idea already. I don't want a 4 slot air cooling solution and have to buy a third party kickstand if you don't want damage the card, slot or MB.
Gonna go back to laying the pc case on its side. Maybe they will start adding storage slots for pens and desk supplies.

You could always open loop water cool and have a single or dual slot solution. Sure some of the waterblocks like from Optiums probably weigh about as much as a 3-4 slot air cooler, but that's another story.

A lot of the higher end cards or even cards with higher end coolers come with a kickstand. Should only cost $15-20 for one.

A lot of the higher end cards or even cards with higher end coolers come with a kickstand. Should only cost $15-20 for one.
This. Complaining about a $15 extra if your $1600 card didn't include one is s but dramatic in my opinion.

This. Complaining about a $15 extra if your $1600 card didn't include one is s but dramatic in my opinion.
I think the opposite. If you're spending that kinda cash, you expect to have everything taken care of.

I think the opposite. If you're spending that kinda cash, you expect to have everything taken care of.
Many do include them. However, it is kind of like including speaker wire with expensive home theater speakers, pointless as most everyone has or will happily supply their own. It's a waste.

Last edited:
It goes a bit both ways, some really expensive TV do not have speaker because they assume all buyers will have their own, the more expensive the bike more likely it come without pedal and assume the buyer has its own for his particular clip shoes, some cheap CPU come with cooler it is rarer for the most expensive model for similar reasons. Cheap kayak tend to be all equipped, the more expensive the more they can assume the buyer want particular or already has paddle.

It can be the case, but not necessarily (would not surprise that more expensive the keyboard, the less everything taken care of they become versus the $8 one or anything audio)

How many GPU come with DP-HDMI cable that are needed ? If they all did how much of it would end up being just e-waste.

Last edited:
So where do you mount the NVidia radiator? Me, I already have a 3-fan radiator for my CPU AIO cooler.

so how many months are we talking from the 5090 to 5080 release?...I don't mind 1 month but if it's 3+ months it's a bad move
Nobody has the answer to this except MLID who will have made it up, since even Nvidia likely hasn't decided timing this far out, because it's a spreadsheet decision with variables in a state of flux between now and launch.

As for anything being a bad move, it's moot because the gaming target market isn't in any bargaining position given NV's AI focus, and even less so going forward with AMD abandoning the high end and Intel needing 2-3 more gens to catch up (if they decide to commit the necessary billions to chasing it).

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Nobody has the answer to this except MLID who will have made it up, since even Nvidia likely hasn't decided timing this far out, because it's a spreadsheet decision with variables in a state of flux between now and launch

I used to not take that Moore's Law guy too seriously...but he was spot on months ahead of time in regards to pricing for the 4000 Super series

A refillable AIO would be nice for a change, vs the current aio's that are sealed.
Do they almost stop being All integrated and remove a lot of their appeal if they are not fully seal with everything that would imply for users ?

Has for a company going on and removing the option for AIB to make air cooled version of a still popular sku or them doing so... a product that can end up in server room, in 2024 not sure if it is a valid option for them.

Why would they ? watercooler version will exist for those who want them and for the many for who that it would be an issue air cooler option will exist and they seem to get better every gen at cooling for the same amount of sound (they cost a lot too).

I used to not take that Moore's Law guy too seriously...but he was spot on months ahead of time in regards to pricing for the 4000 Super series
He's generally right more often than a lot of other hardware leakers. Usually hate focussed on him is really people just hating all tech leakers, and when asked for an alternative source for unofficial, accurate information on future products, they can't provide it.

It's not really about a cheap kickstand, that is just a problematic symptom of terrible issue of the weight of an air cooler and that the card takes up 3 or more slots for air cooling now and maybe more for the next card. I might be in the minority but all my PCI slots are in use. Not to mention because I need a 2 slot AIO card there is no chance to get a new GPU at release because it usually takes months before the AIO version of it shows up.

So where do you mount the NVidia radiator? Me, I already have a 3-fan radiator for my CPU AIO cooler.
Same place my current one is and that is the top of my case. I use a rather large air cooler for my threadripper, and that is not an issue because it doesn't actually block anything important except access to a fan header.

Since this is only (an optimized) 4nm node & not a 3nm node, I am sure nvidia are capable of launching everything 5070 & above in a short order based on demand.

However it depends on old ada lovelace stocks still in circulation

I wouldn't give much credence to rumours as Jensen takes last minute decisions

Back