Nexus AXP-3200 and Zalman northbridge HS - sufficent?

Badger

Gawd
I have an AMD 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ speeds right now, temps idle at about 43-47, and reach a high during SETI@Home of about 51-55 (really depends on room temp and case temp). The HS/F on it is a Thermaltake Silent Boost for the socket A's. Case temps are about 32-35.

Since sound is one of my top priorities, I was disapointed when the Silent Boost did not sound like the rated 21 db. It must be a few louder because my 120mm Vantec Stealth, rated at 28 db, is quieter.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Nexus AXP-3200, available here at endpcnoise.com. If it really is 19db, that'd be great. But will it sufficently cool my overclocked 2500+? If it's rated for up to 3400+ I'm assuming so.

Also at endpcnoice is the Zalman Motherboard Heatsink NB47J, a no fan, large heatsink for the northbridge (my current northbridge fan is getting a little noisy). I have an Albatron KX18Dpro motherboard, and was wondering if this will suffiently cool an nForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboard northbridge?

Thanks in advance

That Nexus HSF will work, but temperatures will be a bit high under load... how about the Zalman 7000 on low-speed?

I've got a Zalman NB47J heatsink on my Northbridge... its great.

I looked at the Zalman, but unfortanetly my motherboard does not have the four bolt holes around the socket to mount it, or water blocks :( A shortcoming of the motherboard that I didn't think of at the time of purchasing.

I plan on cutting a hole on the floor of my case and putting a quiet 80mm fan there too, and then that will blow straight up to my video card (a Sapphire 9600xt Ultimate - cooling mechanism = heatsink only), and that will add more fresh air to the case and help vid card temps; inch high case feet to go along (red LED case feet at that).

Fans in the system right now: one Antec 120mm up front blowing in, one cpu Thermaltake Silent Boost, one northbridge fan, and a Vantec 120mm exhaust. And then the power supply fan. The two loudest are the CPU and Northbridge fans. Eliminating the northbridge will help a lot, but I definately need to get a quieter cpu HS/F combo.

I guess what I really want to know is, is the Nexus really, really, really 19db, or just optimistic advertising like the Thermaltake? If I get the Nexus, yeah temps will probably rise, but I think the floor fan will help that too and the temp change will be negligible, and hopefully it'll be quiet.

Thanks for you input on the northbridge heatsink, too.

That floor-mounted case fan will bring in a lot of dust. Not exactly good for keeping temperatures low. I think a low-speed side-mounted fan will help your 9600XT Ultimate more, as it will blow air over both the top and bottom heatsinks. Though if you filter all your intakes, I think you should be fine in terms of dust buildup.

As for Nexus' advertising claims, see if you can find out who manufactures the fan (Nexus is likely just a rebadge of something else). Google the model number, and see what you can get.

Perhaps an alternative to the Nexus HSF is a Thermalright SI-97 , with a very-low speed 92mm fan.

hmmm, decisions, decisions... It looks like that route could get a little pricey. I found a good review of the Nexus here, so I think I'll just get that unless someone has something else they'd like to share for someone in my position.

sleeve bearing may start out quiet.. but they get louder, and louder...
i got the zm-nb47j works well in my north bridge.. i got the nb32j for south bridge... i epoxied it on but didnt think that it would get in the way of a 6800 w/ nv silencer... ill have to bend/cut some fins off of it to get it to fit... or do what my friend said and just mod the zalman onto the 6800 when i get one.. ill post pics i took while epoxying in a few minutes

with my cpu... i got a slk-800 with a 80mm enermax spinning at 2200 rpm(my whole system makes less noise then the coolermaster neon led fan i got at 12v.. and its rated for 28 db :cool: fine at 7v) .. moves a good ammount of air and keeps my cpu ~100F according to mobo.. perhaps you should replicate this setup

hmm, I've pieced together an SI-97 from Thermalright and a Nexus 19db 92mm fan, but I can't figure out what type of bearing the fan is, probably sleeve.

Would the SI-97 effectively cool a 3200+? It says 2800+ and up, so how far is up?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

Badger said:
hmm, I've pieced together an SI-97 from Thermalright and a Nexus 19db 92mm fan, but I can't figure out what type of bearing the fan is, probably sleeve.

Would the SI-97 effectively cool a 3200+? It says 2800+ and up, so how far is up?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help
my slk-800 says barton 2800 and up.. im running a barton um... 4000+ or so

Ahh thanks for that. I'm using the ceramique now, but didn't know to apply it like that one link showed. Would a 92mm Vantec Stealth at 20db, double ball bearing, be a good choice for the SI-97? It's all about low noise here, and having it at 2.2ghz, lol good combination, I know. Sorry for the redundancy of questions. Thanks a bunch.

Back