New T1 at work, what now?

LGZdarkside

[H]ard [H]eaded
OK, The boss had a new Verizon T1 point to point installed for a remote location and I have to get it working. It has a "smart jack" on the wall.

Do I need a DSU/CSU and a router with a v35 interface (I was told this by someone), if so, what brand do you recommend.

Any help is appreciated......

Thanks in advance,

Brent

You'll need a router w/ a CSU/DSU or have one seperate. A Cisco 1700 is a nice small router with one built in. You just plug the RJ45 cable from the smartjack straight in to the back.

Cool, I think I can scrounge up a couple of those at work. Any special setup commands other than the basic i need to research?

Thanks

Brent

As far as CSU/DSU setup on the cisco itself there are a few things to check. Typically T1's are provisioned as B8ZS line encoding / ESF framing. Make sure the Cisco CSU/DSU reflects that when setting up the router. On the off chance that this isnt the case another format is called AMI/D4. In my experience cisco equipment typically defaults to B8ZS/ESF.

FYI

B8ZS/ESF - Bi-polar 8 zero substitution / Extended Superframe
- Alaso called Binary 8 zero subsitution
AMI/D4 - Alternate mark Inversion / uhhh D4 Framing :) also called SF for extended framing (I think)

Back