New Setup Question

MotionBlur

[H]ard|Gawd
A little backstory:

Bought a Dual Socket Opteron and popped 2 Dual Core Opterons along with a RocketRaid 4320 (8x PCIe/SAS Raid Controller) running Windows Server 2008 last year. It ran a 4xSeagate 7200.11 1TB drives in RAID 5 very well. This was back when I was doing Standard Definition Video, even uncompressed it was only about 20mb/sec. Each of the 4 render nodes in my 3ds max/After Effects render farm were able to read/write to the server just fine.

Over time, I realized I didn't need all of that horsepower to simply server video & audio assets and work was drying up so I downsized to an Intel D550 Supermicro motherboard -> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H

My RocketRaid 4320 refused to boot in the Atom board, but boots just fine in my AMD 785g/890gx based motherboards so I was forced to use the onboard SATA and setup a RAID 5 across the 4 drives with the Intel ICH9R chipset. Suffice it to say, the performance over a Teamed Gigabit connection was a lot less.

Fast Forward to today:
Work is picking up again and I am now recording over 10 times the bitrate (280mbps vs 25mbps) and doing a lot of uncompressed 1080p green screen footage. With the massive changes in footage file size and bit rates I'm looking to upgrade my setup with my 2 render nodes I have now. What would you guys suggest? I still have the RocketRaid 4320 and an extra 4 1TB 7200.11 Seagates for a total of 8, maybe a RAID 10 using the RocketRaid 4320 in a newer Opteron system?

Back