New Build - M.2 question

Zyzoff

n00b
New Build so far, likely to run Kubuntu with Win 11 VM:

case: Corsair 7000D
power supply: Corsair HX1000i 1000W Platinum
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K
Mobo: Gigabyte z790 Auros Elite AX
Ram: 64GB (2 x 32) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800 (no RGB)

So next I'm looking at storage, one or more M.2 SSD's and I'm considering:

WD Black SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 WDS200T2XOE (no heatsink)

It comes with or without a heatsink. The heatsink model is WDS200T2XHE.

So here's the question. The Gigabyte mobo has four M.2 slots, and it appears all have thermal pads on the bottom and top. They appear then to be built in heatsinks. So would I need to purchase the WD model with a heatsink attached?

Also, if I obtained the one with the heatsink, would the thickness of the WD heatsink interfere with the mobo heatsink cover? I've searched around and can't find any answer or discussion on this.

Thanks for any help.

Z

You can't use the MB heatsink with SSD that comes with heatsink already attached.

++ what bluestang said. Just buy the non-heatsink version and use the mainboard's built-in one.

Have you already bought the other parts, because it seems like there are better options. What's this system's purpose?

You can't use the MB heatsink with SSD that comes with heatsink already attached.
Thank you. I tend to agree, but I'm looking for some sort of confirmation before I make the purchase. It's no so much the extra $10 for the heatsink on the M.2, but if it's possible to remove it if the heatsink presence would make it impossible to replace the mobo cover.

That was confirmation, we've been building PC for decades.

Removing the heatsink that comes attached to the SSD from factory will not work out well for you. Use your supplied MB heatsink.

Or ignore us like you want to and just go ahead and buy the SSD w/heatsink and then try to put the MB heatsink on it as well...then let us all know how it works out.

Bluestang, again, thank you.
Blue Line Swinger, I don't want to ignore you :). Just asking the question.

I already have the case, power supply, mobo and RAM, Still to get are the GPU (looking at Radeon 6800), storage and cooling. The M.2 would be for the OS. I will bring several SATA hard drives and SSDs from my old build and migrate from them as time goes on.

I expect to (continue to) run Kubuntu (or maybe Ubuntu) linux as I gave up Windows back in 2013. Still, I will run Win 11 in a virtual machine for legacy apps and photoshop.

No gaming or video production. Mostly web development. I have about 5,000 files in a database we convert/process and make available to users.

I run linux as I believe it's better and to work well with my off-site server (Debian).

So I don't need the fastest or most expensive components out there, and I do have budget limits. (about $2,000). My current box dates from 2013/14 with an IvyBridge CPU, but the components are of good quality and it's still running, albeit showing some age. So I look for quality rather than glitz.

Last edited:
If your looking to save a few $ then the P44 Pro 2TB is on special now for $119.99 after promo code at NewEgg. Very comparable in quality and performance but not sure how it compares to SN850X for database workload though.

I would get a SSD without heatsink and use the MB one as it looks like it would disappate more heat anyways

Bluestang, again, thank you.
Blue Line Swinger, I don't want to ignore you :). Just asking the question.

I already have the case, power supply, mobo and RAM, Still to get are the GPU (looking at Radeon 6800), storage and cooling. The M.2 would be for the OS. I will bring several SATA hard drives and SSDs from my old build and migrate from them as time goes on.

I expect to (continue to) run Kubuntu (or maybe Ubuntu) linux as I gave up Windows back in 2013. Still, I will run Win 11 in a virtual machine for legacy apps and photoshop.

No gaming or video production. Mostly web development. I have about 5,000 files in a database we convert/process and make available to users.

I run linux as I believe it's better and to work well with my off-site server (Debian).

So I don't need the fastest or most expensive components out there, and I do have budget limits. (about $2,000). My current box dates from 2013/14 with an IvyBridge CPU, but the components are of good quality and it's still running, albeit showing some age. So I look for quality rather than glitz.

Do you already have the CPU? The i7-13700/13700k gains four e-cores over the 12700k, which may come in handy given that it looks like your virtualization needs look kinda heavy (i.e., Photoshop). Since you're not overclocking, there's little point in a 'K' CPU.

Why a GPU? Aside from maybe some Photoshop functions (which the app can't utilize from within a virtual machine AFAIK) it doesn't seem to gain you anything over the CPU's iGPU. Multi-monitor support, maybe?

That is a lot of PSU for this build, even with the GPU. A ~650 W unit should be plenty, less without a GPU.

For CPU cooling the Thermalright towers are very good, relatively inexpensive units. A 240-size closed-loop radiator would also work well if you want to go in that direction

The Solidigm P44 is essentially a repackaged SK Hynix P41, a very good SSD. The SN850X is also very good. Get the cheaper one.

BluelineSwinger,

Thanks. I already have the CPU, Mobo, RAM, case and PS. Major things still to get are Video, M.2 SSD and cooling. With all things, I've got a budget to more or less balance. OTOH, I look for good components that won't wear out in a few years. My current box went online in 2014. While most items have held up, it's getting old. I do run two monitors. I may look for more, but physical space is limited. Looking at Corsair water cooling (it works well on my current box). Not interested in flashing lights. Yes, I will look at the P44, but I have many years with WD Black (and an occasional Seagate). I know I could probably do better, but this will be a huge leap over the 2014 Ivybridge.

Thanks to both of you for your help and insight.

Last edited:
If your looking to save a few $ then the P44 Pro 2TB is on special now for $119.99 after promo code at NewEgg. Very comparable in quality and performance but not sure how it compares to SN850X for database workload though.

I would get a SSD without heatsink and use the MB one as it looks like it would disappate more heat anyways

Thanks looks awesome!

#WD4ME#.....

been using their Black models for years, in both personal & client rigs, neveranottaproblemo !

NVME SSD prices are getting crazy good right now..

The SN850 is definately an impressive drive.. i was debating that or the 980 Pro as I tend to do a mix of workstation loads / games

https://www.storagereview.com/review/wd-black-sn850x-ssd-review

Yesterday, I picked up a new Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for $105 (+ tax) from MicroCenter yesterday to replace an aging 2 TB / Raid 0 Array in my main rig..

Sale Price $129.95 - $25 (off $100+ for new customers - - wife lol) = $105....

I cringe every time I see great deals from MC, since their best deal prices are in store only, and the closest one to me is over 2hrs away....hardly worth it for ~$100 purchase IMHO, oh well :)

Back