sgrinavi

Fully [H]
I'm building a new Sandybridge system

2600k (I'll OC, but won't overvolt)
Asrock Extreme6 board
8 gb RAM in 2 sticks
a pair of vertex 120 gb ssd
4x WD 640 blues in RAID 10

probably use a corsair 620 or, maybe, 800w PSU that I have.

I have a pair of Dell u2711's that I'll be running.

My goal here is to build a system that uses less power than the one in my sig without a sacrifice in CPU performance. I am not not a big time gamer, but when I do play I want it to be reasonable, mostly I do 3d CAD work in REVIT, AutoCAD Architecture and 3ds MAX - REVIT and CAD work OK on my 1gb FX 1800 M quadro in my laptop, but max does stress out the system when I plug into my u2711's .

SO, my questions

1. Does the 2 GB card make sense?

2. The 6950 seems like the right choice from a standpoint of power/cost/performance. Is there a better choice?

1. Yes, it's really the only option because the shaders can be unlocked and the 2GB will really help if you decide at some future point in time that you want to go down the dual card route and get a second 6950.

2. The 2GB 6950 is probably the best choice from a power/cost/performance point of view. But, for the work you do, you might consider getting the 570 GTX. Find out if your applications make use of CUDA.

I'd definitely check up on CUDA. If you are a good alternative might be the 560 2gb.

Otherwise, the 6950 2gb is a solid card that is in a nice power/price/performance sweet spot before you consider flashing it to a 6970.

@reaper - The only CUDA app that I've been using is the Octane Render app, but that was Max 2010, max 2011 has a hardware render engine built in....

@westernesse - I looked at the 560's and didnt even realize there was a 2 GB version damninit.... oh well. Guess I'll see how this ATI deal works out and go back to Nvidia if REQUIRED

Back