New BIOS for P5B vanilla is out:

P5B Release BIOS version 0509
1. Support DDR2 double side x16 module
2. Enable support for CPU ratio adjustment on Kentsfield B0 stepping CPU
3. Enable conroe/kentsfield ratio overclocking higher above default value
4. Fix CPU Fan profile mode not correct after system shotdown
5. Revise temperature reading algorithm
6. Update MRC code
7. Enhance memory compatibility for DDR533 and DDR667 modules.
8. Revise S3 fuction not stable when CPU FSB over 300MHz.
9. Add dram frequency help string

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=P5B&SLanguage=en-us

This BIOS looks like it resolves the 330-400 MHz FSB problems. I can run a FSB of 355 MHz stable now with 4-4-4-12-4-3-10-5-13 RAM timings. Those using DDR2-667 RAM with this board should try out this new BIOS.

so kentfield works with the vanilla...

Freaking grrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaat... :D

Looks like theres a new one for the P5B WiFi deluxe, too.

Hmmm... might try the new one for my Wifi...

but 502 is pretty stable..

3.1Ghz on stock intel air cooling :cool:

For those of you that have the P5B Deluxe, do any of you have CPU Temps being reported incorrectly? I built a system for my friend, and the CPU temps are going upwards of 60-70C (not F)!!! I'm using the stock intel HSF, whcih I know sucks, but the heatsink is barely warm, and I've even played WoW for a few hours and it STILL is barely warm. I'm just hoping that the CPU isn't melting underneath, as I haven't seen any crashes/irregularities/smelled anything burning.

Also, has anyone figured out the strange memory issue? I set the BIOS to DDR2 800 , and it shows it on POST, but when I use like Everest or something it shows up as DDR2 667. I am using GeIL DDR2 800 2 x 512 MB.

Another strange thing is when u hit save and exit, with the new bios (I think its the 614), it just shuts off. It saves it all right, but most mobos i've had in the past restart, not instantenously turn off.

It works SOOO fast, but I'm just trying to make sure that it's running at its full speed.

acaurora said:
For those of you that have the P5B Deluxe, do any of you have CPU Temps being reported incorrectly? I built a system for my friend, and the CPU temps are going upwards of 60-70C (not F)!!! I'm using the stock intel HSF, whcih I know sucks, but the heatsink is barely warm, and I've even played WoW for a few hours and it STILL is barely warm. I'm just hoping that the CPU isn't melting underneath, as I haven't seen any crashes/irregularities/smelled anything burning.

Also, has anyone figured out the strange memory issue? I set the BIOS to DDR2 800 , and it shows it on POST, but when I use like Everest or something it shows up as DDR2 667. I am using GeIL DDR2 800 2 x 512 MB.

Another strange thing is when u hit save and exit, with the new bios (I think its the 614), it just shuts off. It saves it all right, but most mobos i've had in the past restart, not instantenously turn off.

It works SOOO fast, but I'm just trying to make sure that it's running at its full speed.

Temps are reported wrong as to so many people already mentioned it...

Ok, so the temps are reported wrong. Anyone know the answers to the memory issue?

acaurora said:
Ok, so the temps are reported wrong. Anyone know the answers to the memory issue?

what bios are you using?

Notice it's normal when you save bios for the system to power off and then on...

Let me clarify. When i hit ' save changes and exit' it goes off instantly. It doesn't come back on until I press the power button again. I'm pretty sure I have the 614 BIOS.

oh. it turns back on after a few seconds? hmm... i've never seen that, but then again I just get too impatient and turn it right back on.

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea the newer asus boards will power off for a couple seconds at any warm restart. its a feature, maybe for safety. whats a "vanilla bios"? it doesnt have anything to do with me, i swear.
P5B non-deluxe motherboard.

Back