New 3930k build

RedShark

[H]ard|Gawd
I've posted an update in a separate post below on Feb. 24, 2012. Original post follows.

For occasional gaming + several VMs. I'm in the US and plan to buy most/all of this from Newegg.

Parts I plan to get:
- CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600. 32GB for the VMs is a must -- I can load these up no problem. Will upgrade to 64GB depending.
- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
- EVGA 01G-P3-1313-KR GeForce 210 1GB PCI-E video card. Cheap, passively cooled, 1xDVI, 1xVGA, 1xHDMI. Not my primary video card -- see below.
- Intel Core i7-3930K. I plan to "lightly" overclock. For comparison, my Core 2 Duo E6600 has been running at 1.35V / 3.0ghz since Oct 2006. Very "conservative."
- CORSAIR H100.
- SABRENT 5ft. USB to Parallel for antique printer

Parts I have that I expect to work:
- Lian Li 2120X full tower
- 1x PCI-E x16 EVGA 460GTX. No SLI needed.
- Corsair HX 650
- 2x SATA hard disks + 1x Intel SSD.
- Lots of USB shit
- 3x DVI monitors (1600x1200, 1600x1200, 1600x900)
- 1x HDMI TV (1080P). I'd like to run all four displays simultaneously, hence, two video cards.
- Keyboard / mouse / Windows etc
- 3.5" card reader (internal USB interface)
- PCI-E 1x Wifi (don't need this that much)
- PCI-E 1x USB 3.0 card (don't need this that much)

I plan to upgrade in the future to a RAID array, but will not be doing that until the HD manufacturing issues are resolved.

I plan to purchase this stuff as soon as Intel's 3930K C2 stepping is available, i.e. within a week or two.

Other notes / questions:
- Scythe Gentle Typhoons for the H100? These would quiet things down. But I will wait to see how irritating it is.
- 5.25" card reader. I may have to buy an adapter otherwise for this case, but may just buy a new card reader instead. This is low priority.
- No optical drive at the moment -- I'll install Windows via USB or may just try to reuse my current install.
- The 650HX -- will this cut it if I don't upgrade my video card further and if I don't go wild with the CPU voltage? i.e. if I leave voltage at stock and "lightly" overclock? I have a Kill-A-Watt device, so I can measure the watts required at the wall. I strongly suspect this PSU is OK but want to verify.
- I've already looked at the motherboards etc in detail and think I will stick with this one as it seems to offer the features I need.
- Is there any reason this shit won't work? Anything else I should look at?
- Budget is finite, an am hoping to keep this around the current estimate of $1400-$1500.

Last edited:
That PSU should be ok.

I don't really see a huge issue with that build at the moment.

Sorry I did not reply sooner -- just wanted to say "thanks!" I'm just waiting on Newegg, or anyone else for that matter, to get some 3930k's in stock.

Since it is a k series CPU, I think you should take advantage of its overclocking potential. Or maybe you need to reconsider your CPU choice and change it to 2600k since it is going to be better bang for the buck. That will require you to change your mobo as well because 2600k uses a different socket.

I want the CPU primarily because it has six cores, not because of its overclockability. Aside from the usual computer shit like email/web, the primary function of this computer is for software development with multiple virtual machines running simultaneously.

That said, I do plan to overclock it :) But stability and 24/7 operation remains paramount.

I just wanted to post back and say that I've since built this machine. The Kill-A-Watt reports 125W or so at idle, and 550-560W with Prime95 (12 threads) + FurMark running simultaneously. The CPU is overclocked to 4.4Ghz at 1.31V. With 550W drawn at the wall with this load, it seems the PSU is indeed sufficient. I don't plan to increase the CPU voltage further -- I think doing so would likely require a bigger PSU.

It's a nice machine by the way :) We'll see how it holds up over time.

Back