Network time is grayed out

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
In trying to troubleshoot this problem I managed to kill my internet connection and had to use Timeshift to get it back. :(

Below are a couple of screen shots that might provide a clue as to what the problem may be. TIA for any assistance you may offer. :)

Screenshot from 2024-04-08 08-13-36.png

Screenshot from 2024-04-08 08-14-47.png

If your time is too far off, ntp will refuse to sync iirc. Manually set the time closer to the actual time, then try enabling it.

I would verify that ntpdate or systemd-timesyncd are running. Plus make sure that they are properly set to a preferred NTP pool like time.cloudflare.com or pool.ntp.org.

Looks like systemd-timesyncd is not installed. Do you have another timesync service installed?

Unit is just a placeholder...

sudo systemctl <action like start, stop, restart, edit, enable, etc.> <option like --now, --full, etc.> <unit file like .service, .socket, .timer, .mount, .automount, etc>

Last edited:
Looks like the ntp.service is it for him with whatever Debian-based distro he's using.

Yep, that was the problem. I have no idea how it got uninstalled.

Actually Nobu was right also. it was installing systemd-timesyncd is what got it working. I had to also set ntp to cloudflare ntp server via the cli.

Back