NetBIOS over VPN works.. but kind of doesn't

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
So I setup a SonicWALL router with IPSec VPN using DHCP, and I'm able to connect to the internal network without issue. There's a Netbios enable setting in the SonicWALL, and I clicked that on too.

There is a workgroup I'm trying to connect to now. The funny thing is.. the remote machine can ping the internal network by NetBIOS name and map shares. But it doesn't see the computer when trying to browse for it.

The workstations in the network do see the remote machine pop up though.

So the only issue is with listing the workgroup computers on the remote machine even though the names are mapped and are pingable. There is no WINS server which I've read might be necessary. But if that's the case, the remote PC shouldn't be seen on the internal network.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Yeah it's hit 'n miss when you enable netbios through a VPN tunnel..and you're not running DNS and WINS to help things. Peer to peer networks...your best bet is to set static IPs on the host, and take the poor mans WINS approach...lmhost files. And disable netbios through the tunnel...it consumes too much traffic and will bog down your tunnel to a near dial up experience.

Back