Need to build a game server

LGZdarkside

[H]ard [H]eaded
OK,

Here's the deal, I need to build some game servers. I will have 24 dedicated gaming PC's playing a variety of games (more on that later), and have a budget of $1500 per server for up to 4 servers.

I am open to suggestions about ram, CPU's, OS, etc.

Now, for the games.

We will be running BF1942 and America's Army for sure. What other games would be the best to offer? We will have a mix of beginning and experienced players.

Thanks in advance!

Brent

We are dropping about $42,000 on PC's, including the servers. I am just not sure what to get on the server side, AMD, Intel, dual CPU's..........

Anybody?

Brent

I'd so go AMD Opterons or MPs. Opterons you might be able to get them with that kind of budget if you shop around. Or maybe not if you plan to use SCSI harddrives...

Single opteron (or a64) gig of memory, and give each a raptor (36 should work)

I would say go w/ the a64 so you don't have to use regestered memory.

fromage said:
I'd so go AMD Opterons or MPs. Opterons you might be able to get them with that kind of budget if you shop around. Or maybe not if you plan to use SCSI harddrives...

I am leaning toward dual AMD's with 2 gigs and SATA drives and dual 1GB net cards.

I want to run a server per CPU, I can do that , right? I will run Linux where I can.

Brent

TekieB said:
Single opteron (or a64) gig of memory, and give each a raptor (36 should work)

I would say go w/ the a64 so you don't have to use regestered memory.

:eek: They are proud of the a64's !

Brent

You can get a Dell Poweredge 400SC for under $300 and it would work very well for hosting a dedicated game server. I used to do so on mine until I sold it. More than enough power for 24 game clients all playing at once. But with 4 servers you could a few playing a game on one server, a few on another and a few on another.
Mine was a 2.4c Pentium 4 800mhz FSB, 60gb 7200 rpm hard drive and 256 PC2700 ECC.
Of course you would want to add more ram, but for under $300 it is a nice system. And very stable. Never crashed on me.

As far as games go I would add RTCW:Enemy Territory, Rise of Nations and Tribes 2.

$6,000 is over kill for 24 people playing games. Doesn't matter how many servers you are running if you can only have 24 people on at any one time.

Back