Need pro-Sumer Backup device

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
Here's the problem i have: my father is getting to the level of prosumer photography, and we have a 4k home camera. This means storage is becoming an issue for him. When we bought his computer a few years ago, the video wasn't at issue. Now he's running low on storage, but wants to speedily access his media. Current computer has a 256gb SSd and a 2TB spinner from the last computer. Current backup is a 2TB WD that auto-backs up his photos.

He gets REAL impatient, when thumbnails take a long time to load.

The computer he has is one of these small form factor HPs, so all of the SATA ports are currently taken, and the NVME has the OS.

Migrating to a bigger HDD would be a pain I don't want to deal with, and he'll be looking at a new computer in about 2 ears anyway. So, what I am thinking is getting some kind of pro-sumer backup/storage device that has a fast enough connection that funcitonally, there won't be a meaningful difference between internal and external storage. But we don't need to break the bank.

I was thinking one of these Asustor nvme ssd based NAS devices: https://www.amazon.com/Asustor-Flashstor-FS6706T-Computer-Attached/dp/B0BZCM22WD?ref_=ast_sto_dp, and get a few cheap SSDs (2x https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN570-Internal-Solid/dp/B09JM8DJNS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1D8CEXWOST481&keywords=nvme+ssd&qid=1687216443&s=electronics&sprefix=nvme+ss,electronics,115&sr=1-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1)

Thoughts? Anyone ran one of these Asusstor devices?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Asustor seems to be a solid device, while not all the same specs Guru3d did a solid review on the 12bay NAS. For the 6bay you would want to make sure the computer has a 2.5g/E port or a USB port that supports the performance of the NAS.

As you haven't mentioned budget aside from not wanting to break the bank, for ease of use, I recommend the below

Get a synology 923+,
  1. Stack it with a much memory as possible (2x16gb) - it will use this as cache
  2. Put in 2xSynology 800gb cache drives (or 1tb WD770 red/Seagate ironwolf nas nvme drives) use in read/write config
  3. Stack as much storage as you need into SHR1 with BTRFS as the filesystem using nas drives (I recommend 3x drives, so there's room for the future - I recommend WD Red Plus drives, but any NAS grade or DC grade drive will do)
  4. Fit a pair of Noctua A9s in it, and replace the rubber feet/put it on a mouse mat if it is too noisy
  5. Easily link it to backblaze b2 for encrypted cloud backups using the Synology Hyperbackup software
  6. Use Syncfolder judiciously
  7. So that backups don't slow down the transfers, either connect the unused 1gbe port direct to the pc or use a 5gbe adapter on both the pc and the nas to go direct between the two devices, plus connect the nas to the network with 1gbe
If the speed isn't sufficent, get the 10 gig ethernet card for the nas and look at usb-c to 10gig adapters for the mini pc

Last edited:
Funnily enough someone did a youtube video with a similar configuration to what I recommended above (linked at the benchmark timestamp)

And this suggests you can stack the 923+ with 64gb, which I would in this instance.
Here's the thing, anything I put together I'm going to have to support. So I'm kind of hoping for something that is relatively simple. I think the complexity of your solution, while a good solution, is beyond the scope of what I'm looking for.

Here's the thing, anything I put together I'm going to have to support. So I'm kind of hoping for something that is relatively simple. I think the complexity of your solution, while a good solution, is beyond the scope of what I'm looking for.
It is really really easy to support.

If you strip down what I said:

• Put 3 nas drives in a 923+
  • Fill it with memory
  • Put two “certified“ nvme cache drives in it
  • Put the syno 10 gig card in it

Synology will even support you in the unlikely event that you need help.

Then add backblaze b2 cloud backup for little effort.

This is super easy to make work and keep working. You could have the whole thing going in less than 20 minutes and never have to touch it again

Last edited:
Back