MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X vs Asus RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC OC temps while gaming

Grunt

Weaksauce
I purchased the ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 ROG Strix LC Overclocked Liquid Cooled 24GB ($2,199) and the MSI GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G Hybrid Cooling 24GB ($1,799). I have read about the high memory temps on the MSI so I though I would see how they compared. The last MSI card I owned was a Sea Hawk 1080 water cooled and since then it has been EVGA cards. Since EVGA no longer produces GPU's and I am now gaiming at 4k the I started looking at the current GPU's. I used MSI afterburner and set a fan curve that was the same for both GPU's. Core voltage was set at 0 and the power limit was set at 110% and temp limit was set to 88 C. No overclock on the core clock or memory was used both set at 0. The temp in my room was 74 degrees since I had the AC on. I played BF4 metro server both for 40 minutes. The MSI was used first and then the ASUS. Below is the attached GPUI-Z max temps for both GPU's, my concern is the high temp for the memory of the MSI (84C) over the ASUS (68C), it is a large spread. The ASUS cost $400 more then the MSI. Also the MSI has coil noise and the ASUS is silent. I am using a Corsair AX1600I PSU with the Corsair 4090 power
cable. Both GPU temps and ho0t spot temps are close but the huge gap in the memoey temps have me concerned and I am thinkinmg to stay with the ASUS. Thoughts?

ASUS 4090 GPU-Z

ASUS 4090 BF4 max temp memory power 110 temp limit 86.gif

MSI 4090 GPU-Z
MSI 4090 bf4 temps 2.gif

Update: MSI 4090-with power limit set to 0
MSI 4090 bf4 temps 0 POWER LIMIT.gif

Last edited:
If you just want lower memory temps, you could also just try out the Gigabyte Gaming OC. It's much cheaper, very quiet (at stock fan curves anyway), and has good temperatures all around. Also Gigabyte RMA vs ASUS RMA if anything goes wrong, for whatever that's worth. I think most 4090 coolers are horribly overspec'd, so it's just about finding one without excessive padding in between the memory and the heatsink. Gigabyte does good in that regard. I'm kind of surprised anyone would just go right off the bat and set a 110% power limit, though. I didn't do that when I had mine before returning it, so I can't comment. The Gigabyte's stock overclock won't be as high though.

80-84 C memory temps are fine. These cards can run up til 110 C. Hotspot under 70 C is also great. Nothing to worry about with any of the 4090s except some coil whine reports I have heard.
Even my TUF that I have been claiming for almost a year now that didn't have coil whine showed some when my son ran Minecraft at 4K with unlocked FPS and lowest settings. I think it was pulling about 500+ fps and I could hear a whine. I set it to 240 fps and whine was gone so not bad at all.

Other than that, take your pick. As for clock speed nothing changes between 2700, 2800 or 2900 MHz. Maybe at 3100 MHz there is some noticeable difference but I gave up on setting overclock to 2880 MHz (highest my TUF would go for sustained loads) and now run stock. Can't feel any difference.

Good thread though FOR SCIENCE!

If you just want lower memory temps, you could also just try out the Gigabyte Gaming OC. It's much cheaper, very quiet (at stock fan curves anyway), and has good temperatures all around. Also Gigabyte RMA vs ASUS RMA if anything goes wrong, for whatever that's worth. I think most 4090 coolers are horribly overspec'd, so it's just about finding one without excessive padding in between the memory and the heatsink. Gigabyte does good in that regard. I'm kind of surprised anyone would just go right off the bat and set a 110% power limit, though. I didn't do that when I had mine before returning it, so I can't comment. The Gigabyte's stock overclock won't be as high though.
The only question I would ask here - is it appears, he wants a pre-spec'ed liquid cooled card - so, no third party liquid water block - would those even compare to these LC'ed gpus? Anyway, I think it's not fair to compare the Gigabyte to these cards - that already are liquid cooled. The OC card is supposedly one of the better air cooled 4090s - many of the buyer reports I read - were that they cooled well, were quiet and often no coil whine.

It sounds like the OP wants the option to push his card's performance? :) 110% power limit? :) I really don't do much about all this - I admit it - but, going by his post - the Asus card seems to cool better - it could be just lottery - luck of the draw - got a good Asus card. I guess you pay for the 'Asus tax' - sounds like he has the cash to buy 2 cards and test - then, he might as well keep the Asus card - it has better cooling performance and no coil whine even when pushing fps or at least, can't hear it compared to the MSI.

Keep the Asus card, send back the MSI is my two cent recommendation. :)

The Suprim air cooled version gets a lot of pos've reviews though - I don't know anything about the LC versions of 4090s though - I haven't read too many reviews on them.

The only question I would ask here - is it appears, he wants a pre-spec'ed liquid cooled card - so, no third party liquid water block - would those even compare to these LC'ed gpus? Anyway, I think it's not fair to compare the Gigabyte to these cards - that already are liquid cooled. The OC card is supposedly one of the better air cooled 4090s - many of the buyer reports I read - were that they cooled well, were quiet and often no coil whine.

The Gigabyte card is also known to not have coil whine. In fact, it's got a reputation for being one of the ones with the least coil whine on the market, as far as 4090s.

As far as temperatures, these were the temperatures of my Gigabyte card (when I had it) running full throttle for about 30-40 minutes on Cyberpunk with everything turned up as high as it gets (these are in my 4090 topic, where I had it for a few days):

1693168454215.png

It's cut off thanks to GPU-Z sucking at taking screenshots on other monitors, so the temperatures are Core Temp, then Hot Spot, and then Memory, respectively, on each line. Again, the cooler is also pretty quiet while performing this well. I think the main benefit to having an AIO liquid cooled card is if you need to save space on the actual card slot (the Suprim X, which I also had briefly, was a much shorter and smaller heatsink in the actual card slot) and/or your case has very limited airflow options, so you want the ability to relocate the main radiator somewhere else. Otherwise, I would actually opt for an air cooled card because you don't have to worry about a pump failing, ever. The Suprim X Liquid did boost higher out of the box, though (think it was ~ 2790 stable out of the box with no power limit increases for me). Granted, I play on 3440x1440, so I'm not sure if the amount of memory actually consumed affects memory temperatures, but most reviews I have watched on Youtube also give the Gigabyte card pretty good ratings on memory temps specifically.

Last edited:
The Gigabyte card is also known to not have coil whine. In fact, it's got a reputation for being one of the ones with the least coil whine on the market, as far as 4090s.

As far as temperatures, these were the temperatures of my Gigabyte card (when I had it) running full throttle for about 30-40 minutes on Cyberpunk with everything turned up as high as it gets (these are in my 4090 topic, where I had it for a few days):

View attachment 594096

It's cut off thanks to GPU-Z sucking at taking screenshots on other monitors, so the temperatures are Core Temp, then Hot Spot, and then Memory, respectively, on each line. Again, the cooler is also pretty quiet while performing this well. I think the main benefit to having an AIO liquid cooled card is if you need to save space on the actual card slot (the Suprim X, which I also had briefly, was a much shorter and smaller heatsink in the actual card slot) and/or your case has very limited airflow options, so you want the ability to relocate the main radiator somewhere else. Otherwise, I would actually opt for an air cooled card because you don't have to worry about a pump failing, ever. The Suprim X Liquid did boost higher out of the box, though (think it was ~ 2790 stable out of the box with no power limit increases for me). Granted, I play on 3440x1440, so I'm not sure if the amount of memory actually consumed affects memory temperatures, but most reviews I have watched on Youtube also give the Gigabyte card pretty good ratings on memory temps specifically.
You're really just moving the space of an air cooled card to yet another radiator you need to mount.

Back