Moving my docs redirected folder

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
I need to move document redirection on a network, we are in the process of decommisioning the old server.

Currently my docs is redirected to \\server\user docs\%username%

I need them to move to \\server2\userdocs\%username

Normally i would manually copy the files myself, however the smart person before me granted exclusive rights to the user (instead of setting it up per MS KB article to allow administrator access)

If i just change the path will it move the files, or do i have to take ownership and screw up all the permissions?

if you change the folder redirection in the GP, there is a check box that says "move contents to new location" it should move it for you when you login with the modified GP policy applied. Otherwise the take ownership works well.

I guess its worth a shot, worse thing that happens is people cant get to it for a second

if you change the folder redirection in the GP, there is a check box that says "move contents to new location" it should move it for you when you login with the modified GP policy applied. Otherwise the take ownership works well.

+1. Worked well when I've done it this way

yeah, you can just change the location in GP and you'll be good. You might want to set up a new GPO with the new location and then have the policy apply to a group and remove "authenticated users" from the permissions. That way you can dump one or two people into the group at a time and not have calls from everyone in the morning complaining about how long it is taking to login. You would also need to do the same thing with a group to the old folder redirection GPO.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yeah, you can just change the location in GP and you'll be good. You might want to set up a new GPO with the new location and then have the policy apply to a group and remove "authenticated users" from the permissions. That way you can dump one or two people into the group at a time and not have calls from everyone in the morning complaining about how long it is taking to login. You would also need to do the same thing with a group to the old folder redirection GPO.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I already warned everyone, they have a email on their desks explaining lol, its not a horrible amount of data, moving over Dual GB load balencing NIC's on each server.

Back