Make sure you disable 'standby/sleep' mode!

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
The builtin Standby/sleep mode in WindowsXP causes problems with the GeForce 6 series cards. When it goes into standby/sleep, the fan on the 6800 *stops,* causing temps to rise 10-20 degrees higher than usual. This is not a result of a bad driver, but rather the way windows fails to properly initialize cards in standby. For instance, my Santa Cruz soundcard has a garbled digital output after returning from standby that requires a reboot for fix. Not sure what other video cards this affects.

So, GeForce 6 owners, two recommendations:

A) Try using hibernate mode instead of standby/sleep. Hibernate mode does the same thing but properly initializes cards.

B) Use the "turn off monitor" feature instead of the standby/sleep feature. You can then get your monitor to go off after a set time.

tranCendenZ said:
The builtin Standby/sleep mode in WindowsXP causes problems with the GeForce 6 series cards. When it goes into standby/sleep, the fan on the 6800 *stops,* causing temps to rise 10-20 degrees higher than usual. This is not a result of a bad driver, but rather the way windows fails to properly initialize cards in standby. For instance, my Santa Cruz soundcard has a garbled digital output after returning from standby that requires a reboot for fix. Not sure what other video cards this affects.

So, GeForce 6 owners, two recommendations:

A) Try using hibernate mode instead of standby/sleep. Hibernate mode does the same thing but properly initializes cards.

B) Use the "turn off monitor" feature instead of the standby/sleep feature. You can then get your monitor to go off after a set time.
With the new 62.01 drivers, my system hard-locks when I return from standby.

Scott

Hibernate mode is cool anyway... it turns all the fans off, unlike standy-by.

Hit the power button... boots damn quick.

My computer is either ON or OFF, no hibernate.
Background Torrents are always dl/ul, gotta get my ratio up for [G]'s PMO. ;)

Back