low traffic

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
So, maybe I need to customize my SEO... but I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get 0 inquires... zero... nothing. Granted, all of the weddings I've shot this year were referals... I get hardly any traffic.

What are the search strings couples use? What can I do to my site/blog to help out?

I can type my zip code + photographer and I come up 2nd... if I type where I live + wedding photographer I don't show up... I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Is your site heavy pictures / flash / not a lot of raw selectable text?

I see that issue on a lot of sites for creative types. Remember that google can only read text. (or put another way, that is what they most heavily weight)

I found out that I wasn't using permalinks correctly and wasn't using the title of the site properly... I changed a couple things and gonna see how traffic is in a couple week... I assume that is how long it takes.

Another thing to note; SEO only affects how your content is indexed by Google. Better seo only really helps when it comes to the search engine deciding how relevant your content is to the query. If you want to be returned higher in the search results for a hotly contested search term then you will need to move beyond just seo and work on building quality links to your site so Google sees you as being more important and worthy of being moved up in the search results. You may also want to consider buying some paid search placements to help get the ball rolling.

Unfortunately, without a fairly significant amount of online 'word-of-mouth', you unlikely to rank highly in Google search results. AdWords can help place atop or beside search results, and they tend to stand out more to users than ordinary search results, so they can be a very good investment.

If you're targeting locals, you shouldn't expect to have to bid through the nose for the terms you want to be associated with, so this won't be as financially painful as you might expect.

maybe I need to customize my SEO

Yes

Another thing to note; SEO only affects how your content is indexed by Google. Better seo only really helps when it comes to the search engine deciding how relevant your content is to the query. If you want to be returned higher in the search results for a hotly contested search term then you will need to move beyond just seo and work on building quality links to your site so Google sees you as being more important and worthy of being moved up in the search results. You may also want to consider buying some paid search placements to help get the ball rolling.

This.

Also, link to your site?

edit: oh also, all the SEO in the world won't make a difference if you aren't a good photographer. No offense. Something I get at least a few times a year are clients who comes back 6 months later complaining about poor sales or traffic to their site. There's no easy way to tell someone that their product/service sucks and that's why they're not getting any sales.

Back