Looking for a Hypervisor to test with

k1pp3r

[H]F Junkie
I have a spare IBM X255 serries server that i would like to throw a hypervisor on, however most i find require 64-bit (ESXi and Xenserver)

I would preferr not to run the HV over a host if i don't have to.

Anyone know of a bare metal HV that would be compatible, the HWC list for VMware is frankly a pain in the butt to use.

Hyper-V Server 2k8 requires HW virtualization on the CPU, and must be enabled on the board, as well, or the installer will not complete. I cannot think of any hypervisor that will allow you to install on 32bit hardware, that is current. You may have to go back to a hosted solution, and even then you'll only get 32bit VM guests (which may be fine, based on your requirements, which are unknown).

Umm...wait. I think you could do the ESXi 3.x versions just fine. The base install is 32bit. Of course, you will be limited to 32bit guests.

Umm...wait. I think you could do the ESXi 3.x versions just fine. The base install is 32bit. Of course, you will be limited to 32bit guests.

Yes, I installed ESXi 3 on a Poweredge 1650 with dual P3s and it worked fine, guests were actually much faster than I expected too.

I just finished downloading that not long ago, will be trying it out. I wish is supported more OS's though

Such as?

I run the following on mine.

Win2k3 Server , WHS, Windows XP, Windows Vista & CentOS 5.2

Is there some list out there that I haven't seen?

*Ninja Edit: http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/r2.aspx

Windows Server 2000 Server and Advanced Server with SP4 (uniprocessor)

Windows XP SP3 32 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows Vista SP1 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows 7 client 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows 7 client 32 & 64 bit (multiprocessor, two virtual processors)

Windows Server 2003 SP2 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows Server 2003 SP2 32 & 64 bit (multiprocessor, two virtual processors)

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 32 & 64 bit (multiprocessor, two virtual processors)

Windows Server 2008 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows Server 2008 32 & 64 bit (multiprocessor, four virtual processors)

Windows Server 2008 R2 32 & 64 bit (uniprocessor)

Windows Server 2008 R2 32 & 64 bit (multiprocessor, four virtual processors)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86/x64) (uniprocessor, no integration components)

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11

RedHat RHEL 5

If you install Debian and Xen 3.3 it will work, but Windows is out of the question unless the CPU has VX. Tbere's no "bitness" requirement for it, just use 32-bit Debian.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back